Senior Scientist, In Vivo Antibody Discovery
The Biologics Generation Group in Global Biologics is seeking a Senior Scientist to join the In vivo antibody discovery team at the AbbVie Bioresearch Center (ABC). The ABC site is based in Worcester and offers the unique setting where Biologics drug discovery, development, and manufacturing coexist.
Our team collaborates with multiple therapeutic areas across AbbVie to discover therapeutic antibody candidates for Oncology, Immunology and Neuroscience indications. We are utilizing innovative immunization approaches, advanced multiplex screening assays and best-in-class automation platforms to enable successful antibody discovery against complex targets.
As an integral part of the group, the ideal candidate will:
- Become a subject matter expert on antibody discovery through animal immunizations
- Lead antibody discovery campaigns from designing immunization strategy and developing screening funnels to all phases of antibody discovery from single cell isolation and screening of primary IgG secreting cells derived from immunized animals, through sequencing and molecular cloning of antibody molecules.
- Optimize antibody discovery workflow for single cell isolation, screening and VH and VL sequencing.
- Explore and develop innovative solutions with hands-on laboratory work and literature review to support novel biologics generation
Primary Function / Primary Goals / Objectives:
- Impact projects through both experimental design and lab activities.
- Generate panels of characterized monoclonal antibodies using in vivo techniques. Deliver reliable and reproducible data in a timely manner.
- Conceive and implement novel experimental approaches to answer scientific questions. Demonstrate experimental precision and data analysis skills.
- Investigate, identify, develop, and optimize new methods/techniques with hands-on laboratory work and literature review.
- Develop productive collaborations and communication with other groups, across therapeutic areas.
- Demonstrate scientific excellence, work ethic, and dedication to team/project goals.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Plan, lead and execute successful antibody discovery campaigns from choosing immunization strategy and developing screening funnels to generation and characterization of monoclonal antibodies. Conduct all phases of single cell isolation and screening of primary IgG secreting cells derived from immunized animals, through sequencing and molecular cloning of antibody molecules.
- Perform laboratory research competently and independently.
- Analyze and interpret results, noting significant deviations.
- Report findings at team meetings. Troubleshoot experiments and instrumentation. Learn and develop new techniques. Place data in proper scientific context by reviewing relevant literature.
- Demonstrate proficiency in multiple experimental techniques and ability to appropriately modify protocols to suit the changing needs of research. Impact projects through both experimental design and lab activities.
- The ideal candidate is expected to work on multiple projects in a team environment.
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
- BS, MS or PhD with 10-12+ (BS), 8-10+ (MS), 0-3+ (PhD) years of experience;
- Experience in Immunology
- Proficient in cell culture
- Knowledge immunoassays including ELISA and flow cytometry
- Experience with microfluidics and single cell analysis is highly desired
- VH and VL sequencing and molecular cloning experience is a plus
- Experience with advanced automation platforms and programming
- Development novel screening assays for antibody characterization
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled