Medical Portfolio Lead, Medical Program Management
The Medical Program Management (MPM) team focuses on driving performance through learning, technology, and the practice of innovation. The Medical Portfolio Lead serves as both a primary point of contact and strategic partner for Senior Therapeutic Area (TA) leadership and serves as the primary cross-functional operational contact/liaison to assure effective communication and alignment between the MATs within a TA, while also enhancing integration with Development, Brand Team (IBT/GBT), and MAT (USMAT/GMAT). The scope of this role is global, coordinating planning, tracking, and information flow from multiple organizations in support of a unified and comprehensive Therapeutic Area (TA) view across all brands/assets and MATs within that TA. This role is also responsible for the Medical Project Office. Key Responsibilities Includes:
- Supports Global TA Head by directly interfacing with the various TA Leads, MAT's, MPM's, and cross-functional partners (Commercial (IBT/GBT), Development, GMA Evidence Generation Solutions, etc) to ensure a portfolio-wide (all brands/assets) view of the multiple teams strategic planning, ongoing activity, and risk mitigation.
- Drives TA Medical Affairs Team (MAT) operations ensuring they are efficient and effective across functional boundaries including cross-functional member engagement, performance, and accountability. Coordinates program management activities for TA in Global Medical Operations team (including Areas).
- Assures open communication and alignment on roles/responsibilities and deliverables for each asset supported by the TA. This includes all Tactics, including Evidence Generation, External Expert Insights and utilization, Medical Education, and other areas represented in the MAT.
- In partnership with Sr. TA Leader, drives strategic planning and execution across the TA portfolio ensuring appropriate prioritization and integration.
- Responsible for planning oversight for TA portfolio (all brands/assets and indications) including:
o LRP and Portfolio/Plan
o Key strategic initiatives/tactics
- Ensures TA portfolio activities are actively tracked and reported across all Areas, highlighting potential delays, risks, and providing mitigation plans.
- Partners with GMA Evidence Generation Solutions Lead to identify opportunities and challenges in timely data generation and works with teams to implement process improvements.
- Liaison between GMA, Area Medical Affairs, and US Affiliate MA, other brand members, Evidence Generation Solutions, Finance, Legal, and Clinical Supply etc. to ensure all are operationally aligned and focused on the same strategic goals.
- Stays connected with MA Field, ensuring appropriate MSL (Medical Science Liaison) and MOSL (Medical Outcomes Science Liaison) engagement
- Assess TA portfolio-wide issues and develop solutions to ensure overall portfolio productivity, quality, and timelines are met within budget, involving other functional areas where appropriate. Identifies risks and communicates as needed. Actively seeks solutions and takes calculated risks where appropriate.
- Collects and communicates performance measures for MAT operation within TA. Monitors performance measures and takes appropriate actions when necessary. These measures include, but are not limited to, headcount, schedules, and budgets across multiple GMA functions and assets included in the TA.
- Without direct authority, integrates and manages cross-functional resources and information to achieve MAT deliverables. In cases of limited resources the Medical Portfolio Lead will partner with TA leadership to prioritize across programs where necessary.
- Build and drive performance of Medical Project Office (MPO) capability group committed to tactical support of L-1 Launch Assets, Evidence Solutions, and Field Medical.
- Lead team of Medical Project Planners providing tactical support of Integrated Project Plans, Financial Tactical Grids, AMCP Dossier Tracking, IIS tracking, and other dashboard and KPI measures.
- Lead development MPO tools, templates, processes, and communications. Works to navigate and anticipate upcoming planning processes and deliverables.
- Bachelor's Degree in a scientific or business related field is required.
- MBA Degree strongly preferred
- Project management certification (e.g. PMP) strongly preferred.
- Ability to think strategically and cross-functionally across TA portfolio to identify opportunities and make connections to advance business deliverables and impact
- Applied knowledge of program management tools and processes (e.g. management of integration, scope, time, cost, quality, human resources, communications, risk and procurement).
- Extensive experience with performance measurement and communication (e.g. metrics, dashboards).
- Demonstrated ability to lead without direct authority, ability to excel in a matrixed environment.
- At least 10 years of pharmaceutical experience.
- Experience should include at least 5 years of program management and/or process improvement related experience.