Associate Scientist II
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
General Position Summary/Purpose:
Independently generate precise, reliable and reproducible data in a timely manner. Demonstrate experimental precision and strong data interpretation skills and should possess understanding of core discipline.
Analyze routine and non-routine samples ranging from early development to late stage clinical development using e.g. HPLC and GC (preparation of reagents, samples, operation of instruments, data analysis and interpretation, and notebook documentation). Experience in HPLC and GC are required. Participate in the validation of analytical methods used for the analysis of novel small molecule therapeutic compounds and their impurities using a variety of analytical techniques.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Perform routine tasks competently and independently, and generate reliable and consistent results.
- Analyze and critique results, noting significant deviations.
- Learn and understand new experimental techniques.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in his/her field. Demonstrate skill in multiple techniques and appropriately modify protocols, as required, to suit the changing needs of research or development sciences.
- Troubleshoot experiments and instrumentation. Impact projects mostly through lab and/or pilot plant based activities.
- Place data in proper scientific context by consulting and citing relevant literature.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
- Analyze routine and non-routine samples using HPLC and GC, which involve preparation of reagents, samples, operation of instruments, data analysis and interpretation, and notebook documentation.
- Validate analytical methods using HPLC and GC.
- Maintain cGMP compliance in the laboratory.
- Bachelor's Degree in chemistry or biochemistry or equivalent education, with typically 3 or more years' experience or Master's Degree in chemistry or biochemistry or equivalent education (no additional experience)
- Theoretical and practical knowledge to carry out job function.
- Industrial experience with HPLC and GC (Empower software)
- Good computer skills in Microsoft's Excel and Word software
- Good verbal and written communication
- Knowledgeable in cGMP, GLP, and ICH guidelines