Organovo is developing and commercializing a platform technology to produce and study living tissues that emulate key aspects of human biology and disease for use in drug discovery, clinical development, and therapeutic applications. The Company develops tissue systems through internal research programs and in collaboration with pharmaceutical, academic and other partners. Organovo's living tissues have the potential to transform the drug discovery process, enabling treatments to be developed more effectively and with greater relevance to performance in human trials and commercialization. The Company’s ExViveTM Liver and Kidney Tissues are used in disease modeling for NASH and fibrosis, high-value drug profiling, target and marker discovery/validation, and other drug testing. The Company is also advancing a preclinical program to develop its NovoTissues® liver therapeutic tissues for critical unmet medical needs, including certain life-threatening pediatric diseases. The Company has received orphan designation for its potential treatment of alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency, its lead indication within the category of inborn errors of metabolism. Organovo is changing the shape of life science research and transforming medical care.
- Performs duties related to cell and tissue culture, bioprinting, compound dosing and analysis per established protocols
- Will be responsible for new assay development and establishing standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Utilizes a range of assay technologies to characterize bioprinted tissue constructs, including ELISA, qPCR, viability and histology
- Independently identifies and implements new assay technologies that have an impact on assay throughput and/or performance
- Independently designs, executes, and performs basic analysis of experiments, including independent troubleshooting.
- May manage individual projects, including contributing to establishing timelines and deliverables
- Primary cell culture and maintenance of bioprinted tissues
- Participates in fabrication of bioprinted tissues, including independent fabrication where applicable
- Prepares detailed SOPs that enable transfer of validated assays to project teams and customers
- Reporting of results to supervisor and internally at group meetings
- May present findings at external forums (conferences)
- May be required to supervise junior associates
- Other duties as assigned
Scientist Skills and Experience:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in biology, physiology, molecular and cellular biology or closely related field
- Extensive experience in most of the following: mammalian tissue culture, ELISA, qPCR, flow cytometry
- Experience evaluating and implementing new techniques
- Minimum 3 years work experience in an industry setting
- Experience with 3D tissue culture, histology, and/or liver models is a plus
- Ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary groups in a fast-paced work environment
- Able to work independently on experimental design, execution, and analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and track record of ability to effectively present scientific data
- Detail and task oriented
- Positive attitude
- Keeps calm under pressure
- Some weekend work will be required
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and Organovo retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities, and assigning other activities.
Organovo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at 858-224-1064 for assistance. #CB