Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
To learn more about us, please visit us at http://www.pharmacyclics.com/
Executive Assistant, Clinical Science
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
General Position Summary/Purpose:
This position supports and enhances the executive effectiveness of the Head of Clinical Development (Drug Safety and PVOps Departments report to the executive as well). It is responsible for a broad range of executive-level administrative support duties for an extremely busy senior member of the Pharmacyclics Executive Team within a dynamic and fast-paced business environment. The successful candidate must possess the ability to stay several steps ahead and anticipate the needs of the executive and the departments reporting to him. The position requires an individual who takes great pride in being a professional Executive Assistant, has previously worked and thrived in a high-pressure environment(s), ideally with C-level executives, and who will serve as a trusted employee for highly confidential and materially sensitive information. Importantly, this position supports and often administers the Executive's executive administration responsibilities for Finance, Budget Process, Compliance & Transparency Reporting, Contracts/ Legal, and Procurement - keeping communication lines open and respectful.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Independently and proactively provides high-quality support and anticipate the needs of the executive.
- Capable of working with discretion and tact in an environment exposed to a high level of sensitive and confidential information. Maintains executive confidence and protects organization and executives by demonstrating a high level of professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
- Acts with sense of urgency and understands need for responsiveness after hours and some weekends, as needed (e.g., during executive travel, high-pressure periods of activity/sensitive business commitments, etc.)
- Manages complex calendaring and scheduling needs and coordinates all logistics for domestic and international travel, including itinerary preparation and management of expense reports (using Concur).
- Partners with Clinical Science, and other teams to coordinate schedules, internal and external meeting logistics and presentations
- Effectively navigates the various office solutions needed to maintain high-functioning business processes for executives.
- Works with other senior leadership executive assistants to create seamless office operations.
- Prepares documents in Word, Excel, Visio and PowerPoint. Proficiency in Microsoft Office is a must. Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics.
- Acts as a liaison, solution-oriented problem solver, and facilitator as the first contact for the executives and others in the department.
- Effectively and successfully responds to problem situations and prioritize issues
- Represents executives to internal and external business contacts. Screens incoming calls/ correspondence and independently responds or forwards to appropriate areas, when possible.
- Manages day-to-day work flow as well as possesses strong communication skills to interface with all levels of staff.
- Serves as a back-up to other administrative staff and receptionist desk when needed.
- Finance Support and Administration: monthly meetings for departmental spend and HC updates review; monthly accrual reporting; handle Finance inquiries
- Budget Process Support and Administration: gather, assess and compile budget details; document budgeting rationales & decisions; periodic budget reassessments; budget information for agreement process;
- Compliance & Transparency Support and Administration: Annual Plan coordination and required updates; department liaison with PEER and Transparency Teams; hands-on guidance to ensure timely compliance with and documentation of PEER & Transparency processes;
- Contract/ Legal Support and Administration: Process Expert for 1-3 departments;
- Procurement/ Accounts Payable Support and Administration: BuySmart processes, understanding of tax forms requirements for agreements; liaise invoicing concerns and PO reporting updates.
- A professional, flexible and approachable demeanor with the highest levels of personal integrity and confidentiality
- A business mind with an ability to see the big picture and has an acute attention to detail.
- Proven outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including English grammar/editing skills.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Outlook).
- Ability to work under pressure and on deadline.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Ability to work on complex projects with general direction and minimal guidance with a high degree of quality.
- Good judgment with an ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- High skill level managing interdepartmental business functions.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to self-manage priorities and workflow.
- At least five to 7 years experience supporting a senior-level executive with significant experience interacting with internal and external executives.
- Administrative fluency in understanding and working within budget, compliance and contract processes.
Education Requirements (degree, certifications, etc.):
- Bachelor's degree preferred; equivalent work experience may be considered