Associate Scientist II/ Scientist I, Purification Process
An Associate Scientist position is available within the Purification Group in the Process Sciences Department at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA. The group is responsible for developing and supporting downstream manufacturing process for early and late phase clinical biologics programs. The candidate will be involved with all aspects of protein purification and protein chemistry to support biopharmaceutical process development. Job responsibilities include:
- Develop scalable, economical, and robust purification process for recovering the target protein from bioreactor harvest using chromatography, filtration, and other separation techniques
- Assist process tech transfer to GMP manufacturing, on-floor production support and troubleshooting production issues
- Execute viral clearance, process characterization, and continuous process improvement studies, performing basic data acquisition and analysis, documenting lab notebooks, authoring technical memos and reports
- The individual will also perform various bioanalytical assays, including HPLC, ELISAs and SDS-PAGE, to aid in rapid process development
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in chemical or biochemical engineering, biochemistry or biology with typically 3-5+ (BS) or 0-2+ (MS) years of work experience with basic knowledge of protein purification and standard analytical techniques
- Laboratory experience with purification unit operations and techniques as well biological assays are preferred
- The candidate must have a strong desire to work at the laboratory bench
- Must possess good written, oral and collaborative skills in order to effectively communicate experimental procedures and results
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality