Next Generation Sequencing Research Associate
Alkahest is a science-driven organization addressing the most important medical challenges of our generation. With our partner Grifols, the preeminent provider of blood-based therapeutic products, we are the leader in discovering and developing plasma-based therapies that address neurological impairments such as Alzheimer’s Disease as well as other age-related disorders. In addition to infused plasma-based therapeutics, we are developing innovative small molecule or antibody-based therapies based on validated targets identified in our research into the human plasma proteome.
This position will provide support for detailed mechanism of action studies for Alkahest non-clinical programs. The position necessitates Next-Gen Sequencing (NGS) experience to run bulk- and single cell RNAseq experiments and epigenetic experiments, such as bisulfite sequencing, including library construction for Illumina sequencing. These studies will involve cutting edge science and the efforts of this role will be pivotal in advancing our therapeutic capabilities.
The role requires dedication, flexibility, excellent communication and organization to successfully drive the science and achieve Alkahest’s corporate mission.
- Operate and maintain FACS sorter for samples derived from in vitro and in vivo sources.
- Perform next-gen sequencing sample preparation and quality control for single-cell RNAseq (SMARTseq, 10x chromium), epigenetics (bisulfite-seq).
- Independent charge of laboratory infrastructure such as restocking of solutions and consumables, preparing solutions, and maintenance of sensitive equipment.
- Optimize, perform, and document protocols and experiments.
- Handle small animals (perfusions, dissections, sectioning) and perform basic histology techniques.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or higher in relevant scientific disciplines.
- Experience (2+ years) working with multiple types of biological samples for NGS preparations.
- Successful track record with single cell RNAseq protocols, in particular SMARTseq v4 and Illumina library preparations.
- Experience with DNA and RNA quantitation methods (picogreen, nanodrop), qPCR and lab automation.
- Meticulous attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Strong team spirit with excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills among a multidisciplinary environment.
- Flexibility to accommodate the advancing needs of fast pasted scientific programs.
- Experience with LIMS and similar laboratory automation systems.