HEAD OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
We’re currently seeking a dynamic individual to join our company as Head of Intellectual Property. Reporting to the Chief Scientific Officer, the Head of Intellectual Property will develop, manage and lead a comprehensive IP strategy for PACT. In this position, you will have the opportunity to provide leadership for the company in all intellectual property-related matters.
- Develop and implement IP strategy, as well as policies and procedures to ensure the protection of the company’s intellectual property.
- Work closely with research and development personnel to identify patentable inventions, participate in invention disclosure assessments and provide guidance regarding the patentability of inventions under review.
- Monitor and analyze competitive intellectual property and advise senior management and the Board on the implications of such rights.
- Conduct assessments regarding patentability, freedom to operate, infringement and validity matters.
- Manage outside counsels’ patent preparation and prosecution efforts, including reviewing applications and prosecution materials prepared by outside counsel and providing technical and legal commentary to enhance overall application quality.
- Manage IP budget and set priorities for investment in intellectual property portfolio.
- Educate internal personnel on relevant IP laws and related business issues.
- Advise on occasional trademark matters.
- Review contracts and advise on transactional matters relating to intellectual property, eg. non-disclosure agreements, materials transfer agreements and collaborations.
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Relevant life sciences degree or experience (immunology, cell biology, molecular genetics, etc.)
- 7+ years of IP experience in the life sciences industry as in-house patent counsel and/or in a nationally recognized law firm
- Admission in good standing with the USPTO and any state bar (California preferred).
- Strong patent database searching skills are desirable
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, flexible and able to multi-task
- Ability to work well with all levels of management and staff
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written