Associate Director, Project Management
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat diseases with an unmet medical need. We are the pioneer and leader in the discovery and development of antisense drugs. By exploiting various cutting-edge RNA targeting technologies, we are capable of specifically and efficiently targeting any gene of interest, including ones which are not targetable by small molecules or antibodies. We currently have three approved drugs, and a robust pipeline of over 30 drugs in various stages of clinical trials.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, PROJECT MANAGEMENT
The Associate Director, Project Management will be assigned multiple drug development projects which may vary from preclinical stage through late stage development and marketing authorization applications. The incumbent will drive the execution of the project Development Plan, establishing and maintaining timelines, managing cross-functional efforts across the organization, effecting risk management and change management. As a member of the Ionis Project Management department, this individual will also support overall balancing of competing priorities within the Development portfolio and assure consistent standards across projects.
Leadership Responsibilities Cross All Disciplines and Include:
- Partner with Franchise Heads, Portfolio Leads, and Project Team Leaders to implement project strategy
- Develop and maintain the overall project timelines to support project goals
- Oversee cross-functional efforts, resources and identify critical path activities
- Lead matrix teams through identification of potential strategic or operational risks and issues, mitigations, resolutions, and decision-making processes
- Facilitate collaborative and productive cross-functional team meetings
- Ensure effective and timely communication to team members regarding project status, timelines, key milestones, key events, and changes to the Development Plan
- Foster a cohesive team environment
- Ensure seamless and effective communication with senior management
- Monitor project budget deviations and resourcing needs; participate in annual budget and forecasts
- Balance the demands of project scope, time, cost and quality to meet project goals
- Liaise with corporate partners on relevant operational activities and timelines
- Liaise with peer project managers to maintain consistent cross-project standards and to assess competing priorities
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree strongly preferred
- A minimum of 8 years drug development experience in the biopharmaceutical industry including a minimum of 5 years of project management experience
- Strong understanding of the drug development process, including strategic and operational aspects
- Strong knowledge of regulatory guidelines (e.g. FDA, EMA, ICH)
- Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to initiate, plan, and execute multiple projects and sub-projects with ease
- Proven ability to orchestrate activities across many disciplines represented on project teams
- Proven ability to manage in a matrix environment and to work collaboratively across all levels of the organization
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Project
- Experience in other project management tools or software solutions
- Proven ability to be productive and successful in an intense work environment
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com, for more information about Ionis and to apply for this position; reference requisition # 18-0118
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.