Head of Biology & Preclinical Pharmacology
This position participates as a member of the Drug Discovery leadership team and will work collaboratively with Chemistry, DMPK, Translational and Clinical Development and Regulatory Departments. This individual will oversee Discovery biology, translational and pharmacology activities within the company focusing on discovery and advancement of novel therapeutic approaches to autoimmunity and cancer.
· Work with CSO and other company leaders to develop and implement Research Strategy
· Lead a department of immunologists, pharmacologists and translational scientists for the discovery of new therapeutics in autoimmune and oncology space.
· Lead the investigation of disease biology and identification/validation of new drug targets and execute efficient preclinical lead optimization and translational biology, incorporating target engagement and functional biomarkers of drug action.
· Ensure scientific rigor across a robust portfolio of both early and late-stage discovery programs and exploratory research in emerging areas of autoimmunity and cancer
· Oversee strategic and tactical execution of discovery research and preclinical activities to enable robust, timely and compliant IND submissions with clear development paths
· interface between Discovery Biology/Translational Sciences and Clinical Development leadership to support a portfolio of greater than with several preclinical and clinical programs
· Lead and recruit at the highest scientific caliber and maintain an effective network of outside partners, KOLs, collaborators and service organizations
· Lead partnerships with external collaborators to deliver company research priorities and meaningfully contribute to the product portfolio
· Participate in the identification and evaluation of potential licensing, acquisition, and/or partnering opportunities across the therapeutic and/or technology opportunity space.
Experience & Education
· PhD in Immunology or related field with broad expertise in autoimmune and immuno-oncology research or equivalent.
· Extensive experience in target identification/validation, small molecule drug discovery, and preclinical translational research as an immunologist.
· A minimum of 10 years of scientific experience and a distinguished record of progressive leadership in a relevant scientific organization(s).
· Experience leading propjets and teams in pre-clinical pharmacology, cancer therapeutics, immunology and translational research.
· Extensive publication record in first-tier journals and a knowledge-base that can contribute to an innovation-centric research organization.
· Outstanding management expertise with strong administrative skills and experience in planning, scheduling, and execution of multiple programs and projects, strategic planning in a dynamic and cutting-edge research environment.
· A demonstrated track record of being an effective collaborator.
· The ability to recruit, train, and inspire a high-performing team that is prepared to meet the ongoing challenges and opportunities of a rapidly growing and ambitious organization.
· Outstanding written and oral communication skills including excellent presentation skill .
Effective organizational, interpersonal, presentation and communication skill.