Research Scientist I or II
Bolt Biotherapeutics has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated research scientist to join our collaborative in vivo pharmacology team and play a key role in developing targeted immunotherapeutics for oncology. The candidate will work closely with other developmental associates and scientists with diverse scientific expertise at a small biotechnology company currently located in Redwood City, CA. Strong candidates will be independent thinkers with a passion for discovery, collaboration and have a proven track record in immuno-oncology and in vivo biology. Job title will be commensurate with experience.
This position will report directly to the Vice President of Immunology & Pharmacology and will be a key contributor in the in vivo pharmacology team. The candidate will be responsible for the design and execution of preclinical studies that demonstrate the therapeutic potential of novel immunotherapeutics in both humanized and syngeneic pre-clinical murine models. He or she will also be a key player in defining the immunologic activity and mechanism of action of immunotherapeutics and will collaborate extensively with Bolt staff. The Research Scientist will keep excellent records of experimental data and communicate key results in meetings and to collaborating staff. He or she will contribute to scientific ideas and will evaluate key hypotheses that advance company technologies.
Define the therapeutic potential of “first in class” immunotherapeutics
- Characterize the in vitro activity of novel immunotherapeutics in murine cell culture models
- Characterize the in vivo efficacy of novel immunotherapeutics in syngeneic and humanized murine models
- Define the potential advantages of immunotherapeutics over anticipated standard of care
- Stay abreast of and utilize up to date methodologies
- Maintain samples, reagents, supplies and equipment
Elucidate the Mechanism of Action of “first in class” immunotherapeutics
- Work collaboratively with other staff to further elucidate the mechanism of action of immunotherapeutics and related compounds
- Define key pathways leading to immunological memory, abscopal effectiveness and the requirements thereof
- Carefully document, analyze and communicate high quality scientific data
- Collaborate with colleagues to ensure the vivarium remains organized and pathogen-free
- Assist in the maintenance and upkeep of IACUC protocols
- Perform other biochemical, cell based or immunological assays as required to support company and department goals
- Provide guidance and support to junior staff
- Ph.D. in immunology, cell biology, cancer biology, biochemistry or related field with 6 or more years of relevant experience
- Extensive knowledge of murine syngeneic and humanized tumor models
- Expertise in mouse handling and experimentation, including compound administration (intratumoral, SC, IP, IV), tumor implantation, tumor measurement and animal husbandry
- Prior experience working with immunotherapy or anti-cancer therapies is preferred.
- Expertise in molecular and cellular techniques that include flow cytometry, cell isolation and cell culture
- Excellent communication, technical writing, organizational and collaboration skills
- Proficient with Word, Excel, Power point
- Experience in tumor immunology, immuno-oncology or pharmacology highly desirable
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This is a research position that requires working in a laboratory environment with hazardous chemicals. Protective clothing, gloves and safety glasses are required while working in the lab. This position requires the ability to lift containers or instruments (up to 25 pounds) and work standing at a fume hood or lab bench for extended periods.
Limited travel may be required, including domestic and international (5 - 10%)
We offer competitive salary, incentive compensation, great benefits (such as Health/Vision/Dental Insurance, 401k, paid sick and vacation), employee stock purchase plan, and the opportunity for growth within a dynamic and fast-growing organization
Bolt is an Equal Opportunity Employer