Microbiology Research Associate
DuPont is seeking a Microbiology Research Associate for our Industrial Biosciences Team. The job is based in Wilmington, DE, but may require working in laboratories in Collegeville, PA through 31 March 2019.
DuPont Industrial Biosciences is focused on providing sustainable microbial control solutions, based on innovative science and technology in a wide variety of industries. These application areas range from preservation of personal care, latex, and paint products, to antimicrobial textiles, to treatment of large scale water process systems such as cooling water, pulp & paper and oil & gas fields. DuPont Industrial Biosciences is committed to maintaining and building our success, and we have an exciting opportunity for a Microbiology Research Associate to join our R&D team.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Carrying out basic microbiology techniques: media/buffer preparation; microbial culture preparation; determining viable cell counts; familiarity with common equipment such as single (multi) channel pipettes, autoclave, centrifuge; awareness of biosafety procedures
- Carrying out microbial challenge tests under aerobic & anaerobic conditions
- Carrying out basic chemistry techniques: sample preparation/formulation; wet chemistry; measurement of physical properties such as viscosity, specific gravity, etc
- The individual will work with scientists and technologists in a team based environment to support and drive projects to completion.
- The individual must be capable of working independently with minimal instruction and be a good problem solver.
- The individual must show strong initiative and be capable of independent work.
- Generating data, maintaining electronic databases, documenting results in laboratory notebooks and reports
- Providing technical help and troubleshooting for existing laboratory processes and instrumentation
- Maintaining a safe and clean laboratory as well as all other assigned areas of responsibility
- Generating and maintaining documentation for the safe and productive operation of equipment and tools.
- Maintaining laboratory supply inventory
- Assisting in the installation and validation of new equipment
- Training new and existing personnel on equipment and procedures.
- Working safely in an R&D environment, actively participating in company safety programs
The following are required:
- A minimum of an Associate’s degree is required.
- A minimum of 1 year working experience in an laboratory setting is required
- Knowledge of basic microbiology techniques
- Knowledge of basic chemistry techniques
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications
- A self-starter with ability to balance multiple projects on different timelines
- Proven ability and passion for working within a highly collaborative environment.
- Sets high standards of personal excellence and demonstrates these behaviors in work habits
- Strong mechanical skills, independent problem solving, and strong attention to detail
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States on a permanent basis (U.S. citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, or Qualifying Asylee/Refugee).
- Flexibility to work in both Collegeville, PA and Wilmington, DE locations
The following are preferred:
- Bachelor of Science degree (in a Biological Science field or Chemistry is highly preferred. For example- Microbiology Major with Chemistry Minor or Chemistry Major with Microbiology Minor or Degree combining Microbiology and Chemistry education)
- Experience working in textile chemistry applications
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at www.dow-dupont.com.
The positions represented by this job posting are aligned to one of the three divisions, Agriculture, Materials Science or Specialty Products, which are expected to separate from DowDuPont into stand-alone public companies. Information on the division alignment will be provided during the recruitment process.