Staff Scientist - Process Chemist
10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. You will feel the 10x difference the moment you enter our offices and labs. There’s a dynamic energy here, and we’re looking for the best of the best to be a part of it. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Staff Scientist – Process Chemist
10x is looking for an outstanding individual to be responsible for taking processes from concept feasibility phase to full implementation in a commercial manufacturing facility. The position requires a technical understanding of various chemistries such as organic synthesis, polymerization, and surface chemistries. Based upon your understanding of these chemistries develop, characterize and optimize processes required to manage these chemistries at volume in production. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in process development, scale-up, process implementation and validation in a commercial manufacturing facility with deep technical expertise in surfactants, polymers, or analytical chemistry.
- Develop, characterize and optimize a broad range of chemistry based production processes.
- Integration of these chemistries into various fluidic handling mechanisms.
- Experimentation to develop a deep understanding of the underlying reaction mechanisms and interactions, cause and effect, failure modes, guard band studies and optimization using DOE methodologies.
- Identify and optimize any compounding factors, such a temperature, environment, workflow, pressures, reagent concentrations that could impact the resulting product.
- Scale up and develop alternative production processes to meet demand as 10x Genomics continues to grow.
- Develop process QC methods to ensure processes are in control.
- Implement statistical process control tools.
- Verification that the output manufactured products meet all requirements.
- Install and verify equipment, document processes and train operators.
Required Skills and Background
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Process Engineering or related field.
- 5 years relevant experience developing successful processes in the life science industry with deep technical understanding of polymers, oils or surfactant chemistry.
- Strong Process Transfer experience demonstrating control of manufacturing processes through appropriate Process Design and QC methods.
- Ability to integrate a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines.
- Experience with automation equipment or custom instrumentation.
- Ability to design meaningful experiments and in depth analysis of results. Experience using statistical tools, such as JMP, is beneficial.
- Ability to develop, validate and transfer process to manufacturing or OEM vendors.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with a compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.