Senior Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 5:30 PM)
Over the last few years, Counsyl has grown from a dorm room startup to become one of the largest clinical genome centers in the world, processing over 750,000 patient samples to date. We currently seek to hire two, full-time Clinical Laboratory Scientists to assist in sample processing & analysis in our highly-automated laboratory. You will Interact and communicate with laboratory staff to ensure efficient work flow within our state-of-the-art laboratory.
This position is for the following shift:
Monday - Friday, 9am to 5:30pm
What You'll Do
- Process and analyze clinical blood and saliva specimens via molecular testing methods following standard operating procedures
- Complete routine preventive maintenance procedures and troubleshooting on laboratory instrumentation and automated equipment, as needed
- Set up and operate laboratory equipment independently, in accordance with the lab's standard operating procedures
- Support the training of Production Laboratory Scientists and other Clinical Laboratory Scientists on current and new laboratory procedures
- Use Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) to track requisition and specimen status to ensure prompt turnaround time of sample results
- Perform QC testing on new incoming reagents
- Maintain stringent standards for quality, identifying any issues which might adversely impact the quality of test results and/or employee safety, and immediately communicating these to the appropriate management representatives as necessary to ensure prompt resolution
- Create and/or update laboratory standard operating procedures, as needed
- May participate in Quality Assurance activities such as internal audits and inspection preparation
- Responsible for maintaining updated understanding and knowledge of the methods used in the laboratory
- Assist in method verification studies and validation studies of laboratory developed tests, as needed
- Work alongside both licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientists and unlicensed Production Laboratory Scientists in a CAP-accredited/CLIA certified laboratory environment
- Performs other duties as assigned
- BS/BA degree (or equivalent) in Medical Technology, Biological Sciences, Molecular Biology, or related field
- Current California CLS license or CGMBS license (Clinical Genetics Molecular Biology Scientist)
- At least 6 years of experience working in a high-complexity clinical laboratory, with a CA CLS or CGMBS license
- Prior experience with PCR-based and/or next-generation sequencing (NGS) methods, preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, computer, troubleshooting, and pipetting skills
- Experience in performing Molecular Biology methods
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Word processing and data management skills
Counsyl is a health technology company that offers DNA screening for diseases that can impact men, women and their children. The Counsyl philosophy is simple: screen for diseases where advanced knowledge makes a difference in health outcomes, whether it’s changing a behavior, pursuing preventative measures, or simply preparing for what lies ahead.
The Counsyl team includes an accomplished group of problem-solvers — top engineers, scientists, and designers — who are taking the lead on building the modern clinical laboratory. Scientific rigor, custom robotics, and software are at the heart of every Counsyl product, resulting in better, faster and more affordable screens that are broadly accessible. Beyond the laboratory, Counsyl offers doctors and patients a technology platform for results delivery in real time, with on-demand access to board-certified genetic counselors.
The company has raised a total of $102 million and is privately backed by Pilot Growth Equity, Goldman Sachs Asset Management, Founders Fund, Felicis Ventures, David Drummond, and other high profile investors.
Counsyl does not accept unsolicited resumes. Further, any resumes submitted to us without a signed contract will become the property of Counsyl, Inc.
Counsyl, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Counsyl is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Counsyl are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Counsyl will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Counsyl encourages applicants of all ages.