CLIA Laboratory Manager
The CLIA Laboratory Manager is an enthusiastic, hardworking, and self-motivated individual with great communication skills who can manage a high throughput state of the art clinical genomics laboratory. As a CLIA Laboratory Manager at Counsyl, you will leverage excellent people management and organizational skills to manage laboratory workflow, training, scheduling, interpersonal relations, and nurture collaborative relationships with adjacent functional groups within our organization. You will be heavily involved in the day to day nurturing and training of laboratory personnel, monitoring the laboratory sample processing workflow, as well as facilitating/supporting the constant improvement of the clinical laboratory while maintaining quality.
The CLIA Laboratory Manager will demonstrate a high level of individual responsibility and accountability and possess the ability to perform to the requirements listed below. The candidate will be comfortable managing large groups of people and designing efficient workflows amenable to a high throughput clinical laboratory environment.
What You'll Do
- Gain and maintain mastery of lab and sample workflows.
- Maintain impeccable lines of communication between service engineering and manufacturing groups to maintain maximum equipment uptime as well as reagent availability and quality.
- Work with service automation, production assay science, and technical supervisor groups to maintain impeccable first pass yield across all production level assays.
- Work with the Data Analytics Team to generate and refine informative dashboards and metrics that accurately reflect the flow of sample volume through the lab, from sample receipt to report release.
- Participate in daily GEMBA walks on the production line.
- Assist with the transition of new assays into a production setting.
- Work to aggregate lists of required process improvements for the lab, and assist with development and implementation.
- Work with lab supervisors to design and constantly improve training methods.
- Work with the lab supervisors to maintain a well organized floor plan for the lab.
- Work with procurement to conduct regular audits of reagent and consumable inventory.
- Work with lab supervisors to design and constantly improve lab schedules.
- Ownership of the CLIA lab budget with the goal of achieving alignment with company volume forecasts and goals.
- Assist Quality Assurance team with lab inspection requirements.
- B.S. Degree in molecular biology or similar discipline.
- Qualify as a General Supervisor under CLIA rules
- CLS or CGMBS license (REQUIRED)
- Bachelor's degree, plus 6+ years experience as a CLS OR Master's degree, plus 4+ years of experience as a CLS (REQUIRED BY CA LAW)
- 3+ years of managerial experience in a CLIA accredited environment.
- Work experience in an NGS lab, Preferred. Will consider experience with Special Chemistry or Virology, as well.
- Managerial experience in an NGS lab, preferred
- Experience with monitoring lab related metrics/data, drawing meaningful inferences from data, and acting upon said inferences to improve quality and efficiency.
- Experience with: MS word, MS excel, Google drive suite of office products.
- Experience with Biotech start-ups/fast growth companies or similar working environment will be very helpful.
- Experience with automated liquid handling instruments is a plus.
Counsyl is a health technology company that offers DNA screening for diseases that can impact men, women and their children. The Counsyl philosophy is simple: screen for diseases where advanced knowledge makes a difference in health outcomes, whether it’s changing a behavior, pursuing preventative measures, or simply preparing for what lies ahead.
The Counsyl team includes an accomplished group of problem-solvers — top engineers, scientists, and designers — who are taking the lead on building the modern clinical laboratory. Scientific rigor, custom robotics, and software are at the heart of every Counsyl product, resulting in better, faster and more affordable screens that are broadly accessible. Beyond the laboratory, Counsyl offers doctors and patients a technology platform for results delivery in real time, with on-demand access to board-certified genetic counselors.
The company has raised a total of $102 million and is privately backed by Pilot Growth Equity, Goldman Sachs Asset Management, Founders Fund, Felicis Ventures, David Drummond, and other high profile investors.
Counsyl does not accept unsolicited resumes. Further, any resumes submitted to us without a signed contract will become the property of Counsyl, Inc.
Counsyl, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Counsyl is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Counsyl are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Counsyl will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Counsyl encourages applicants of all ages.