Biomedical Innovation Engineer
The Lilly Innovation Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts allows Lilly to explore how next generation therapeutic ecosystems, connected solutions, and data analytics can improve patient health while reducing the clinical, psychosocial and economic burden that is systemic throughout healthcare today. Our team in Cambridge shares a passion for challenging conventional wisdom and creating an environment that embraces prioritizing high-risk, breakthrough and disruptive concepts. The Center provides the innovators dream: a startup-like operating environment with large company support. We are located in the core of Massachusetts’s exploding science and technology cluster, walking distance to some of the best academic and industry innovators in the world. The Center has been designed to cultivate collaborative drug, device and technology research across all of Lilly’s therapeutic areas.
Do you seek an opportunity to contribute to rapid, hands-on prototyping that will use your development experience to design and implement new medical device technologies, carrying designs from idea to functional proof of concepts in a state-of-the-art hands-on prototyping facility? Do you have a strong sense of curiosity and agile learning ability? Do you wish to join a multi-disciplinary team dedicated to solving some of the most difficult challenges facing healthcare today? As a scientist, you will help design test procedures and small-scale studies aimed at demonstrating the efficacy of the technologies and devices you develop. As an innovator, you will thrive in our fast-paced environment and independently identify new product, project and partner opportunities from current technological and scientific trends.
Responsibilities of this role include:
- Translate disease pathophysiology into tangible engineering solutions by utilizing Lilly’s vast research resources as well as the Innovation Center’s prototyping capabilities.
- Hands-on design and prototyping (at least 50% of total time) of next generation clinical treatment and decision systems through the design, development, and testing/evaluation of software interfaces for drug delivery, patient monitoring, and communications systems
- Contribute to multiple projects simultaneously and exercise good triage and judgement skills.
- Need-finding by immersing in the patient-healthcare ecosystem and finding opportunities for improving treatments and outcomes by innovating in the device, service and analytics spaces. Establish and leverage strategic relationships with academia and start-ups to accelerate and access emerging innovation.
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Science or Engineering with hands-on experience conducting independent research of a biomedical engineering nature.
- Experience with electromechanical prototyping skills (please submit portfolio if available), and a proven ability to operate and debug complex experimental setups
- Strong working knowledge of Python, or similar scripting language, with experience in firmware or embedded software programming.
- Knowledge of computing language tools such as MatLab
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Lilly does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
Lilly credits its exceptional employees for its successes, and knows the key to ongoing achievement lies in attracting and retaining the best people. Here are a few of the recognitions Lilly has earned for creating an outstanding work environment:
- Business Week magazine 50 Best Places to Launch a Career
- Black Enterprise 2018 list of 50 Best Companies for Diversity
- FORTUNE 50 Best Companies for Minorities
- Human Right Campaign Corporate Equality Index - 100% score\\
- Travel is part of job, usually 10-15% but up to ~30% of times both US and OUS.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
- A broad understanding of interactions between human physiology and both electrical and mechanical engineering as well as the different mechanisms involved in these interactions.
- RF circuit design.
- C, C++, C# and/or assembly programming languages.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work productively in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Ability to identify problems and drive issue resolution / improvements
- Effective technical writing skills as well as good verbal communication / presentation skills