Senior Scientist I, Autoimmunity
As leading experts in autoimmune diseases and therapies, at Abbvie Discovery Immunology organization we focus on investigating novel solutions to help improve patient care across a variety of autoimmune diseases with unmet needs. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist at our Foundational Immunology department based in Worcester, MA.
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented individual with a PhD in immunology with in-depth scientific knowledge of innate immune cell biology (myeloid cells) in inflammatory bowel diseases and other autoimmune disorders. The position offers a unique opportunity for a talented scientist to work in a dynamic, innovative, and multi-disciplinary environment to develop their career at the interface of basic research and early drug discovery.
The scientist will be responsible for conceptualization, developing study design, execution and analysis with the overall aim of promoting innovative science. The position requires ability to work independently, have excellent technical, written and oral communication skills and work very well in a collaborative team environment. You should also have a proven publication record revealing scientific excellence.
- BS, MS or PhD in Immunology or related field with typically 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS), or 0+ (PhD) years of experience.
- PhD in immunology with maximum of 3 years of postdoctoral experience as An innovative scientist who possesses strong background in cellular immunology, specifically with working knowledge in human auto immunology is preferred.
- General knowledge of immunology, one who could bring his/her own ideas to an early discovery team to treat autoimmunity would be preferred.
- Proficient in multi-color flow cytometery-both handling flow cytometer (Fortessa, Canto LSR) and independently analyze the data using analytical software such as FlowJo is required. Confocal microscopy experience is desirable.
- Extensive hands on experience in isolation (Magnetic separation) and manipulation of human primary immune cells from blood or tissue (Monocytes, B cells, T cells, DCs), immunological phenotyping of subsets of immune cells.
- Experience in in vitro immune assays like - Dendritic cell differentiation assay, T cell proliferation assay, CTL assay, T cell polarization assays. Knowledge of in vivo mouse IBD model systems would be a plus.
- Basic immunological and molecular biology assay skills: Tissue culture, Transfection, ELISA, Western blot, immunoprecipitaion, ELISPOT, intracellular cytokine analysis, Luciferase assay.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable high performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.