Associate Medical Director, Physician Development Program
The Physician Development Program at AbbVie was established in 1996 with the goal of developing future leaders for our pharmaceutical research and development team. It is a 2-year, rotation based program located in Lake County, IL where our Pharma business is headquartered. The program provides opportunities for physicians new to industry to gain exposure to multiple functional areas and businesses, while developing working relationships with some of the world's most respected scientists and industry leaders.
Physicians In the program work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to serve as a sub-investigator and conduct assigned phase 1 studies; assist in aspects of development and review process of clinical protocol design; perform safety monitoring of ongoing Phase 2 or 3 studies; present medical and scientific information at internal leadership and working team meetings; and gain a strong understanding of the value of medical safety evaluation.
Another hallmark of AbbVie's Physician Development Program is the emphasis and focus on advancing key leadership attributes. Employees in this program will be matched with a senior leader mentor, experience executive coaching, participate in quarterly business book clubs, and attend an industry postgraduate course.
As a full-time employee with a salary and benefits package, program members spend the first two years in four functional business areas within these core organizations:
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Pharmaceutical Development
- Medical Affairs
- Pharmacovigilance and Patient Safety
Physicians who complete the program are then transitioned to a challenging and rewarding roles within AbbVie research and development.
- Medical Doctor (M.D.), Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) or international equivalent medical degree that meets U.S. certification standards
- Completion of U.S. residency training
- U.S. board eligibility or certification (U.S. State or Commonwealth licensure)
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Medical specialty training in any of the following or related therapeutic areas: Dermatology, Gastroenterology, Immunology, Infectious Disease, Nephrology, Neurology, Oncology, Rheumatology, and Virology
- Fellowship training, associated with clinical research
- Additional healthcare/research academic degrees, including PhD or MPH
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled