Senior Scientist II, Pre-Formulation
Drug Product Development is responsible for designing and developing formulations that enable delivery of AbbVie's candidate molecules in a dosage form suitable for preclinical or clinical studies. We have a challenging opportunity for a Senior Scientist based in Lake County, IL., reporting to the Director of Pharmaceutics.
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott Laboratories. The company's mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and unique approach to innovation to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world's most complex and serious diseases. AbbVie employs approximately 25,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated, collaborative scientist with a proven track record in working at the Discovery interface to assess and optimize the drug-like properties of small-molecule candidates for advancement into clinical development:
- Partner with Discovery and DMPK colleagues to design appropriate in vitro and/or in vivo studies to assess the drug-like properties of small-molecule candidates.
- Collaborate closely with Discovery team members to provide biopharmaceutics assessments of small-molecule candidates to elucidate the impact of formulation variables on in vivo performance.
- Communicate downstream clinical formulation considerations to Discovery project teams to optimize the biopharmaceutical properties of small molecule candidates to facilitate the development of patient centric dosing regimens.
- Execute physicochemical characterization and in vitro studies to enable the design of appropriate drug delivery approaches in support of preclinical studies.
- Partner with preformulation scientists across the Worcester and Lake County for efficient execution of studies across sites as needed.
- Mentor and train 1-2 associate scientists.
- Bachelors and 12+ years of experience [OR] Masters and 10+ years of experience [OR] PhD and 4+ years of experience in Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biopharmaceutics, or Chemistry.
- PhD with 4+ years of experience in Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biopharmaceutics, or Chemistry highly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a cross functional drug discovery team.
- Fundamental understanding of physicochemical properties as related to drug delivery and preclinical and clinical formulation design.
- Experience in the development of in vitro approaches towards understanding in vivo performance.
- Working knowledge of physiological barriers to drug absorption, including various potential transport mechanisms.
- Working knowledge of typical formulation approaches and routes of administration (i.e. IV, SC, IP, PO) across multiple species.
- Experience with analytical approaches toward physicochemical characterization of small-molecule candidates (i.e. HPLC, DSC, TGA, PXRD, drug release)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled