Senior Scientist II/III, In Vivo Imaging
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position will be based at Stemcentrx, AbbVie's South San Francisco, CA location.
The Research Pharmacology Department is searching for a Senior Scientist to establish and lead application development for in vivo imaging. In vivo imaging technologies, namely photoacoustic, optical, and/or ultrasound, will be established at the AbbVie Stemcentrx CA location; however, the candidate will also have access to coordinate experiments with PET, CT, MRI, and other optical imaging technologies available at other AbbVie sites. The highly motivated candidate will work with teams across several functional groups to create hypothesis-driven research applications, and design/execute in vivo imaging experiments to be performed with the appropriate imaging technology.
The applications will span areas of cancer biology, toxicology, pharmacology, pre-clinical and drug development for various AbbVie Stemcentrx pipeline research and development activities. Responsibilities also include performing the in vivo imaging experimentation at AbbVie Stemcentrx, and coordinating with greater AbbVie imaging groups, as well as analyzing and presenting imaging data results. The scientist should understand imaging contrast agent development and optimization for selecting and testing the appropriate contrast agent, and coordinating synthesis by CROs or other internal groups. The ideal candidate will be able to stratify and balance detail-oriented focus with big picture thinking.
- Design in vivo imaging applications and experiments to support the AbbVie Stemcentrx pipeline research and development
- Work across internal teams and AbbVie to coordinate and/or execute in vivo imaging experiments and report study results
- Ph.D. in Life Sciences with either a minimum of 5 years of experience in biotech/pharmaceutical industry, and direct experience with in vivo imaging. M.S or B.S. with 10+ years of in vivo imaging experience.
- Direct experience with photoacoustic, optical, and/or ultrasound imaging technologies is ideal; however, candidates with direct experience with other imaging modalities would be considered if they have a general familiarization with acoustic and/or optical technologies.
- Direct experience in all aspects of in vivo imaging workflow steps, including, imaging technology selection for application.
- Ability to select contrast agent design, and coordinate contrast agent development, synthesis, and in vitro testing.
- Direct experience with in vivo imaging equipment operation, rodent handling and dosing techniques, as well as, image processing and results interpretation.
- Experience with in vivo imaging applications in oncology is a plus. Candidates in other disease areas are encouraged to apply.
- Ability to manage varied projects; to seek internal/external collaborations or contract work; and, to develop in vivo imaging strategies to support oncology drug development and/or to answer questions in a broad spectrum of subject areas (e.g., tumor biology, toxicology, chemistry).
- Excellent analytical and planning skills with the ability to translate vision into action
- Superior interpersonal skills, ability to develop positive relationships with key stakeholders in a diverse environment
- Ability to straddle both high-level strategy thinking and attention to details
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Highly motivated with an ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Highly organized and able to work independently on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
- Excited to participate in and contribute to company culture
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled