Area Counsel LATAM
The Division Counsel is responsible for handling a variety of commercial business transactions and providing legal counsel to AbbVie's Operations (including Pharma and Non-Pharma purchasing) in LATAM, Proprietary Pharmaceuticals US division and U.S. real estate management teams. This includes: Responsible for preparing, reviewing and negotiating complex commercial agreements. Responsible for reviewing marketing and packaging materials and providing and/or coordinating counsel in various substantive areas of commercial law, including healthcare, advertising and antitrust. Responsible for managing and developing a team of high-performing attorneys and paralegals. Provides legal services and resolves legal matters for assigned responsibilities or clients. Supports the business in the achievement of business objectives by rendering sound legal advice and managing legal risks to the corporation. Key Responsibilities Include:
JD (qualified to practice in a LATAM jurisdiction would be advantageous)
10+ years of relevant experience with 5+ in a major law firm preferred.
Expert in practice area.
Proficient in English and Spanish.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
- Identifies highly complex legal issues related to assigned matter; develops alternative solutions,
- and implements resolution. Resolves complex to highly complex legal matters in practice area
- independently. Leads cross-functional projects.
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of AbbVie's businesses supported and knowledge of the broader
- business impact. Keeps abreast of changes in laws that affect client areas.
- Regularly negotiates independently with customers, suppliers or government agencies on matters
- of strategic importance that affect a substantial portion of AbbVie's business or areas of significant
- importance to senior management. Selects and directs the work of outside counsel, defines project
- objectives and manages project.
- Identifies unmet needs and future legal issues and proactively proposes strategies to optimize
- outcomes and results for the company.
- Mentors, coaches and directs assigned attorneys and support staff; serves as a role model and as
- a champion of the legal department through work ethic, attitude, interpersonal skills and
- successful results. Will have attorney and support staff direct reports with people management
- responsibility (provides input into attorney performance evaluations, merit increases and
- developmental planning and assignments). Plays a key role in selecting, recruiting and developing
- attorneys and support staff.
- Advises legal department management of critical project developments in a timely manner.
- Executes core job responsibilities in a timely manner. Assigned matters have significant impact to
- AbbVie overall.
- Advises Managers, Directors, Vice Presidents and Officers. Recognized by these clients as both
- expert in substantive area and relied upon for individual advice.
- Will have direct budget responsibility and manages significant budget issues. Develops and
- manages budgets for assigned legal matters. Serves as a recognized resource for both
- management and other attorneys on innovative ideas in highly complex areas of the law.