Senior Principal/ Principal Research Scientist, Cell Line Development Group Leader
The Process Sciences organization within Operations leads the process development for clinical manufacturing of therapeutics protein for AbbVie pipeline. We have an exciting opportunity for a Group Leader of Cell Line Development at the AbbVie Bioresearch Center (ABC) based in Worcester, MA, reporting to the Director, Process Sciences.
The candidate will be leading the cell line development group within Process Sciences, comprising a team of scientists/engineers with BS, MS and Ph.D. degrees, responsible for driving innovation and leveraging new technology to rapidly advance the cell line development platform and deliver highly productive cell lines to support AbbVie's biologics pipeline.
- Leads a group of 10-15 scientists/engineers with BS, MS, and Ph.D. degrees, responsible for cell line development for antibodies and other therapeutic proteins.
- Leads characterization activities for the cell lines, including stability and genetic characterization.
- Leads/participates in cross-functional CMC teams and also authors/reviews relevant sections of regulatory submissions (e.g. IND, BLA, MAA).
- Advances technical expertise within function. Sources and identifies emerging trends from internal/external sources and assesses relevance. Proactively advises and shares knowledge with the team, peers, and senior management. Mentor and enhance staff performance and to create a scientific climate of excellence to achieve business goals.
- Develops communicates, and implements vision and strategy for group. Identifies and drives technical innovations that will contribute to future business developments and improvements.
- Build strong collaborations with manufacturing sciences, R&D, manufacturing, quality/regulatory groups to develop and align strategy to develop AbbVie cell culture and cell line platforms to improve process efficiency, robustness and product quality.
- Routinely provides analysis and advice on major programs to senior management. Supports department head in planning and executing program timelines and objectives within established budget.
- Mentor and enhance staff performance and to create a scientific climate of excellence to achieve business goals.
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in Biology, Chemical Engineering or related field with 16-18+ (BS), 14-16+ (MS) or 8-10+ (PhD) years of academic or industry related experience.
- Outstanding record of accomplishment in cell line development.
- Proficiency in omics/epigenetic profiling and novel targeted gene editing tools.
- Has demonstrated the skills that encourage independent thought and creativity in science and engineering.
- Has demonstrated success in driving strategic projects in cell line development.
- Has demonstrated success in coordinating and executing important projects to further unit/corporate goals.
- Has demonstrated the ability to lead engineers and scientists through urgent situations.
- Has demonstrated ability to drive process innovation in collaboration with other functional groups.
- Has experience and demonstrated insight into the regulatory process required for drug development.
- Has demonstrated ability to successfully manage change initiatives.
- Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative and changing environment is required.
- Must have the ability and strong desire to "make things happen". Must have a results-oriented work ethic and a positive, can-do attitude.
- Excellent communication skills and presentation skills are expected.
- Proven track record of process development, regulatory submissions, process improvement, statistical data analysis and manufacturing troubleshooting
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled