Senior Scientist, Analytical Chemistry
AbbVie is looking for a Senior Scientist, Analytical Chemistry to sit at our North Chicago, IL site.
The Process R&D (PRD) organization within AbbVie develops phase appropriate synthetic routes for small molecule and antibody drug conjugate (ADC) programs, supporting pre-clinical studies through commercial registrations. We prepare GMP APIs to develop AbbVie's pipeline, and ultimately we provide commercial manufacturing processes for product launches.
AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated individual to conduct analytical research in the area of clinical-phase Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) process development. This individual will have strong collaborations within PRD, as well as with other R&D and Operations functions.
Primary Job Function:
- Responsible for method development, testing procedures, and implementation of analytical process controls to help the advancement of drug discovery candidates.
- Apply analytical separation and detection modes for complex impurity profiling of APIs and API precursors to further the understanding of emerging cGMP synthetic processes.
- Responsible for leading the analytical aspects of a project while working with other functional areas to advance projects through the pipeline.
- Utilize understanding of a range of analytical techniques to conduct research and development studies related to small-molecule active pharmaceutical ingredients, intermediates, starting materials, impurities and impurity profiling.
- Support new product development with advanced methods development and validations, technical transfer packages, and generation of technical data in support of clinical API regulatory requirements.
*Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.*
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Analytical Chemistry with a minimum of 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS), or 0+ (Ph.D) years related industry experience
- Strong technical background in analytical chemistry with problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, hard-working, detail-oriented individual able to work in a fast-paced team environment
- Experience in the use of computerized data handling systems
- High-quality written and oral communication skills
- Advanced degree in Analytical Chemistry
- Understanding of cGMP and regulatory requirements
- Practical knowledge of organic structure, functional groups, chemistry and modern spectroscopic techniques as applied to small-molecule analytical analysis.
- One or more years of process development analytical experience.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.