Research Scientist- Disease Biology and Cellular Pharmacology
WHAT WE DO
Poised at the crossroads of biology and computation, Recursion is disrupting the pharmaceutical industry’s approach to drug discovery. Our unique platform leverages the most advanced high-throughput experimental biology, automation, and artificial intelligence to rapidly discover treatments for rare diseases, inflammatory diseases, immuno-oncology, infectious diseases, and more. Our approach to scalable, high-dimensional biology allows us to find potential treatments for hundreds of diseases at an unprecedented pace.
Using genetic or other biological perturbations, we create disease models in relevant human cell types, then use high throughput imaging coupled with automated image analysis to identify compounds that reverse cellular disease phenotypes. This approach creates incredibly rich data sets and is agnostic to preconceived notions of what the cellular disease phenotype should be. Once we have identified candidate treatments for a particular disorder, the Disease Biology and Cellular Pharmacology team develops a literature-based understanding of the disease, then uses traditional wet-lab approaches to determine if our treatments rescue known disease phenotypes.
HOW YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE
The high-level job description has only one item: do whatever is necessary to help us progress in identifying treatments for diseases. As a Research Scientist on the Disease Biology and Cellular Pharmacology team, you will use cellular and molecular biology techniques to significantly increase the speed of our drug discovery platform. Your work will help us achieve our mission of decoding biology to radically improve lives.
This role is ideal for someone who thrives on continuous learning and endless variety. On any given day, you'll read up on diseases for which we have identified hits and find quantitative assays that will most rapidly enable us to prioritize or deprioritize those hits for further research. You will then develop, execute, automate, and scale those assays as quickly as possible, and analyze and communicate your results and conclusions.
We are looking for scientists who are eager to:
- Research- Once we have identified a candidate treatment, you will develop a literature-based understanding of the disease and devise a plan to validate potential treatments.
- Experiment- You will use wet-lab approaches to investigate whether our treatments rescue known disease phenotypes with a focus on delivering robust, scalable, and quantitative data. Scientists who have an innovative mindset towards experimental execution will thrive in this role.
- Collaborate& Lead- In addition to collaborating with your peers in Biology, you will work on cross-functional project teams with members of the Data Science, Software Engineering, High Throughput Screening, Development, and Project Management groups. Given timing and merit, there is the potential for you to lead your own projects.
- Guide- You will offer mentorship and direction to Research Associates and others, aiding in their development and providing the guidance needed to ensure that lab procedures run smoothly and effectively.
- Troubleshoot– You will have opportunities to fail, push through failure, and then drive toward success. Thinking creatively about assay development will be a useful tool as you contribute to driving our science forward. Your ability to think on your feet and embrace change will serve you well in this role.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- A Ph.D. in a biological field
- A record of outstanding past projects, publications, and collaborations
- 2-4 years of experience working in cell or molecular biology
- Proficiency in cell and molecular biology techniques
- A demonstrated ability to rapidly bring new and diverse assays online
- A knack for scaling and improving assays and experimental procedures
- A passion for reading biological/medical literature
- The ability to rapidly understand new disease areas
- Demonstrable creative thinking skills, scientific curiosity, and internal motivation
- Proven experience in evaluating and prioritizing multiple candidates and projects for further study
- Eagerness to work on a fast-paced team in the culture of a rapidly growing start-up
PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching
- Two one-week company closures during winter and summer
- Flexible, generous vacation/sick leave
- Company-provided lunches, snacks, and beverages to keep you fueled up and focused
- Industry-leading paid maternity, paternity, and adoption leave
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Impressive office & laboratory space (soon to be located downtown)
- Showers, lockers, bike parking, and nearby trail access
Recursion Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.