Global Medical Information Physician, Infectious Diseases & Vaccines
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Global Medical Information Physician (GMIP) for Infectious Diseases & Vaccines provides clinical expertise and advice to internal stakeholders and is a member of the several cross-functional teams, including the Promotional Review Team (PRT), the US and Global Medical Affairs Teams (USMAT and GMAT). The PRT is responsible for ensuring the clinical relevance and medical accuracy of information in promotional materials, external communications and field based employee training. The Medical Affairs teams guide the medical affairs organization’s strategy within the therapeutic area. The GMIP also leverages clinical practice & therapeutic area expertise to provide insights and reviews/approves medical information content on product safety and efficacy, and when required, interact with HCPs to help answer unsolicited professional information requests (PIR). The GMIP provides medical and scientific training to internal stakeholders and collaborates to develop training content and implement scientific updates.
Medical Review of US and Global Promotional Materials
- Provide clinical expert guidance and advice to Commercial Brand Teams in order to influence promotional strategy /messaging and training based on scientific evidence and clinical context.
- Member of Promotional Review Team (PRT) responsible for ensuring the clinical relevance and medical accuracy of information in promotional materials, external communications and Field Based Employee (FBE) training content.
- Support Country Medical directors, as HQ point of contact given their subject matter expertise (SME) for medical review
- US and Global Med Information
- Leverage clinical practice & therapeutic area expertise to provide actionable insights for the creation of medical information assets, ensuring adequate integration of data and scientific evidence with patient safety and clinical relevance elements in a more customer-centric approach.
- Interact with HCPs who request a live discussion with a physician to answer their professional information request (PIR).
- Proactively engage with leaders and participate in US and Global Medical Affairs Teams to ensure that sufficient medical information assets are available with the appropriate depth / format to meet the requirements of external customers and internal stakeholders.
- Review all Health Outcomes-related standard response documents and Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) dossiers to ensure clinical relevance and medical accuracy of the content.
Strategic Coordination and Alignment
- Leverage SME, clinical practice expertise, and therapeutic area team participation to contribute actionable insights and input into key medical strategy teams (GMAT, USMAT, RMAT) and as consultant to medical review of product deletions, divestitures, stock outs and shortages
- Proactively engage with strategy leaders to actively participate in the product medical strategy, ensuring a tailored approach in creating and disseminating scientific content for customers aligned with key scientific priorities and the Global Medical Affairs Narrative.
- Proactively engage with GMI Scientists and other internal stakeholders in developing annual strategic Medical Information Plan.
- Proactively engage in peer-to-peer conversations with key colleagues in Merck Research Laboratories (e.g., pharmacovigilance and product development leads) to provide and request input and ensure alignment to enhance the provision of accurate and customized Medical Information assets for the benefit of customers and stakeholders
- Active participant on select labeling teams to provide insights on labeling language and anticipate activities related to labeling updates, and to facilitate timely and efficient medical information content development and/or updates to support addressing professional inquiries.
- Actively contact and interact with Risk Management Safety Team(s) when required.
Medical Education and Training
- Lead creation of medical training curricula for the products, to address basic and advanced training needs of GMA personnel.
- Collaborate with Learning & Development and Content & Training Directors in GMA to develop training content and approve training resources for the MSL group.
- Implement Speaker Training activities for US in collaboration with Global Expert Management Services (GEMS).
- In collaboration with GMI Scientists (GMIS), support sales and internal training activities.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- MD or equivalent medical degree is required.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Post-graduate clinical training (residency) and a minimum of 5 years of clinical practice experience, of experience in clinical research, academia or the pharmaceutical industry or relevant experience is required.
- Board certification or eligibility in a medical specialty related to Infectious Diseases and/or Vaccines is highly desirable.
- Relevant working experience in Medical Affairs in the pharmaceutical industry is desired.
- Understanding of regulations and compliance considerations impacting the pharmaceutical industry
- Must be able to work in a complex organization environment and have ability to effectively operate in a team-oriented structure.
- Ability to analyze / synthesize data and provide solutions and formulate strategies
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication (written as well as oral) skills.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
Relevant working experience in Medical Affairs, Medical Information or Clinical Research in the pharmaceutical industry is desired
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit: