Medical Science Liaison, Cardiovascular Metabolic - South Texas (Houston or San Antonio)
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Position Description: Role Summary:
The MSL is a credentialed (i.e., MD, PhD, or PharmD) therapeutic and disease expert who engages in scientific exchange with leaders in the external medical and scientific community. Scientific exchange does not include promotional claims about any drug, vaccine or biologic product. MSLs provide to Scientific Leaders (SLs) balanced, factual, scientific information about non-product areas of interest to Merck. MSLs also respond to scientific questions from SLs, including questions about Merck products. MSLs have no sales objectives or accountability for prescribing or sales of any Merck product and are required to avoid any situations that could create the appearance that they have such responsibilities. An MSL may not comment on or make suggestions with respect to the diagnosis, treatment, or circumstances of a specific patient.
- Develop professional relationships and communicate with national and regional scientific leaders to ensure access to medical and scientific information on areas of therapeutic interest and Merck products.
- Conduct peer to peer scientific discussions and maintain a reliable presence with those scientific leaders to ensure they have a medical contact within Merck.
- Review headquarters-directed education and training to maintain current knowledge and understanding of dynamic scientific and clinical environment in Merck’s areas of interest.
- Direct scientific leader inquiries on issues outside of MSL scope of responsibilities (e.g., research, grants) to appropriate Merck resources consistent with applicable policies.
- When requested by MRL, serve as a resource for the identification of potential investigators for consideration for participating in phase II-IV clinical development programs
- In response to unsolicited requests from scientific leaders, provide areas of interest and general high-level information regarding the Merck Investigator Study Program process.
- Serve as a role model for other field medical team members, including on-boarding and/or therapeutic training partner.
- Attend scientific and medical meetings.
Education Minimum Requirement: MD, PharmD or PhD
Required Experience and Skills:
- Clinical (patient care) or deep research experience in assigned therapeutic area(s) beyond that obtained in the terminal degree program.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience and proven therapeutic competence in the disease area. Capable of conducting doctoral level discussions with key customers
- Strong focus on scientific education and dialogue
- Business and market knowledge, including quality management.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and networking skills
- Must possess a thorough understanding of FDA, OIG, HIPAA and other ethical guidelines, laws, and regulations relevant to the pharmaceutical industry and its customers.
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access).
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Field-based medical experience
- Clinical research experience
- Demonstrated record of scientific/medical publication
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit: