Scientist, Phage Display Discovery and Optimization
Janux Therapeutics is an early stage startup biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is to leverage and further develop our novel platform for the purposes of innovating transformative biologics-based therapeutics We are supported by leading investors, experienced leadership, and an accomplished scientific team with a shared vision to provide powerful options towards serious unmet needs for cancer treatment.
As a member of the Research Discovery team, you’ll work closely with other scientists, leading and contributing to our project/program team efforts and the company’s strategic goals.
This position reports directly to the VP of Research.The incumbent will be responsible for leading efforts to grow our phage display operation and be a critical contributor of a team to discover novel therapeutics. The ideal candidate will be experienced with phage display, or similar display selection technology. Expertise in molecular biology, flow cytometry, DNA sequence analysis, and exposure to high-throughput screening for drug development, is preferred. The successful candidate will perform a range of duties critical to our discovery/optimization process.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Lead through contributions from the bench towards the discovery/optimization of project leads using phage display
- Oversee the design, construction, and screening of discovery and optimization of phagemid-display libraries
- Optimize lead molecules to tune specificity, potency and affinity in accordance to project needs with excellent drug-like properties
- Molecular biology tasks such as PCR-based cloning, construct design, site-directed mutagenesis, expression vector engineering etc.,
- Assay development (protein/protein and/or cell-based) for binding and functional characterization for lead ID and lead optimization,
- Supervise and oversee research activities from bench scientist perspective
- Independently presents/defends scientific findings in cross-functional project teams/initiatives, drafts protocols, SOPs, technical reports etc
- PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, biophysics, immunology or a related discipline with a minimum of 5 years of experience (preferably in industry setting) is required
- Hands on experience with protein display platforms (phage, yeast and/or mammalian display technology), including library construction, panning and screening
- Demonstrated knowledge of the current Molecular Biology techniques in the realm of Antibody/Protein Engineering, hands-on experience with high-throughput construct design, restriction-free and restriction-based cloning is required
- Clinical/Preclinical discovery of antibody based biotherapeutics in an industrial setting is required
- A minimum of two years of supervising individuals in a laboratory setting is preferred
- Project management and/or championing technology initiative is required
- Hands-on experience in HTP-based binding assays (such as ELISA, SPR, MSD) and/or cell-based (FACS) for screening antibody variants is required
- Hands on experience in Phage or Yeast Display technology for discovery and/or optimization is highly valued
- Thoughtful experimental design and comprehensive record keeping.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and activities to fulfill research timelines.
- Ability to work independently; proactively address issues and troubleshoot problems.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with colleagues and collaborators.
- Demonstrated scientific productivity as evidenced by a strong research and patent publication record