Senior Director, Research and Development
Senior Director, Research and Development
TEMPEST THERAPEUTICS IS A DEVELOPMENT-STAGE BIOTECHNOLOGY COMPANY FOCUSED ON SMALL MOLECULE THERAPEUTICS THAT MODULATE ANTI-TUMOR IMMUNITY PATHWAYS.
The company has a balanced and deep pipeline consisting of first-in-class and potential best-in-class small molecule therapeutics, which modulate distinct immune response pathways relevant to mounting an effective anti-tumor response. The molecules were developed by Inception Sciences, a Versant Ventures affiliated drug discovery engine.
Overview of the Role
The Sr. Director, Research and Development, will play a leadership role in providing strategy, guidance and oversight to ensure execution of company’s research and development plans including efforts focusing preclinical MOA studies, IND-enabling PD analyses and clinical immune monitoring and biomarker development objectives. He/She has broad and detailed understanding of immunology that has resulted in a solid track record of generating critical data, innovations of tangible benefit to research and development programs, and/or initiation of projects/programs. He/She has a solid technical background with understanding and hands-on experience with immune oncology ranging from preclinical to early/late clinical drug development activities.
The ideal candidate will have:
- PhD in immunology with at least 7 years of industry experience whose career focus has been in immunology/oncology and will have an excellent scientific publication record and outstanding training that includes research on cellular immune regulation, expert in preclinical and clinical immune monitoring and biomarker analyses and development.
- Record of impactful research in immunology, cancer biology, or related fields, as evidenced by recent first authored publications in top-tier journals
- Experience with preclinical cancer models and clinical immune monitoring and mechanistic studies to elucidate immune-mediated functions of drug targets using small molecules, antibodies, and/or vaccine-based therapies
- Experience with clinical immune monitoring and biomarker development including development of detailed biomarker plans for clinical trials, establish infrastructure for sample management and establish/manage CROs/partners for clinical sample analysis
- Visible contributor to external scientific community through patents, publications, invited talks, and/or collaborations
- Innovative approach in both scientific research and in problem solving
- Ability to influence, lead and manage conflict
- Ability to handle stress and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills, both written and verbal
Reporting Structure and Team
The Sr. Director, Research and Development reports to the SVP, R&D, and is a key member of the Scientific Leadership team.
The role demands a highly goal-driven approach and the ability to focus on time-sensitive objectives. The ideal candidate will have worked for 5+ years in industry with documented experience on IND-enabling preclinical and clinical studies with immune modulatory small molecules, antibodies and/or vaccines. He/She will be driving projects from conceptualization through completion and follow-up, providing deliverables within established scope, budget, and timeline. Draw on immune oncology background to understand processes and goals of companies in the research and clinical development setting. Innovative team player who builds strong virtual and local networks with industry and academic leaders in the field of immunometabolism.
Key duties will include:
o Prioritize scientific projects to generate critical IND-enabling data by designing focused, detailed preclinical experimental plans to support key MOA studies
o Establish and manage key relationships (with CROs and/or academics) to execute on prioritized studies
- Guide technical solutions for multiple laboratory functions within partner labs/CROs/academic collaborators
o Clinical immune monitoring and biomarker
- Develop strategies and detailed plans
- Build infrastructure for sample management
- Establish and manage key partners for sample and data analysis to meet timelines and budget
- Develop SOPs for experimental protocols, analyses and reporting
o Develop an effective working relationship with external experts/consultants/CROs/collaborators, particularly in the areas of preclinical immune-mediated MOA studies in animal cancer models and primary murine and human cells.
o Liaison between various parties internally and externally to maintain effective communication
To apply forward cover letter and resume to Careers@tempesttx.com