Senior Manager, Sequencing Research Systems
Other Locations:US- CA- San Diego
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
We are seeking a talented and creative computational infrastructure administrator to enable our new Sequencing Research capability in San Diego. The successful candidate will perform a pivotal role in developing and connecting internal high-throughput genomic sequencing capabilities to both on-premises and cloud-based environments within our research compute environment (RCE).
This position suits an individual with demonstrated talent for development and administration of bespoke research IT infrastructures, with excellent communication and collaboration skills. Keen interest in enabling the innovative application of high-throughput molecular profiling and advanced computational research methods for therapeutic development is imperative.
Applications are encouraged from those looking to impact delivery of truly innovative and life-changing therapies for complex diseases of unmet medical need.
Working closely alongside key stakeholders including sequencing scientists and bioinformatics researchers in the Research Informatics and Knowledge Utilization (RIKU) department within Celgene Research & Early Development, the successful candidate will:
- Administer and develop on-premises computing infrastructure to support Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) capability, including LIMS administration and connectivity to enable transfer of data produced to associated computational research environments.
- Work with RIKU colleagues to develop innovative data provisioning and analytical environments, including database design, and data management, persistence, security and integration.
- Work with RIKU & R&ED technical owners and infrastructure leads to architect, configure/build HPC & Cloud solutions, based on business requirements and ensure delivery in a stable, secure, and efficient manner.
- Produce high-quality technical documentation that describes systems and approaches developed to a high standard, for internal technical reference and user guidance.
- Manage RIKU research computing implementations, performance analysis and optimization of components, problem resolution, upgrade planning and execution, and process creation and documentation.
- Assess vendors in relevant areas, and collaborate with colleagues in Celgene R&D IT as required in order to achieve goals.
- BS in relevant field of Computer Science, Information Systems, MIS Engineering, preferred or equivalent Technical Institute training that includes relevant training courses, certifications and 5 years equivalent work-related experience in biotechnology or bioscience environments.
- Relevant professional qualifications in Information Systems and/or specific fields related to the design, implementation and administration of custom distributed computational infrastructures.
- 5 years professional experience in the design, implementation and administration of complex, distributed IT infrastructures in more than one industrial scenario including biotechnology, preferably multi-national.
- 3 years experience in the design and implementation of research computing infrastructure in a university or biotechnology research environment.
- Linux experience prerequisite, Cloud Certifications are desired.
- Experience in developing and configuring systems and robust pipelines that support processing, storage, analysis, exploration, and discovery with data. Linux Shell scripting, Python & Spark knowledge will be valuable.
- High level of experience in genomics-related software building processes and infrastructure development and deployment required. Good understanding of commercial and open source sequence analysis tools, techniques and libraries.
- Experience of working with contemporary laboratory information management systems (LIMS) desirable.
- Deep understanding of HPC software/hardware interface, storage, device drivers, testing and implementation on x86 platforms GPU-HPC systems.
- Hands-on experience and demonstrable competence in deploying cloud-based HPC and data distribution solutions required, experience with Amazon Web Services desirable.
- Track record of successful project management and delivery. Exceptional documentation/design skills conversion of research aims into technical infrastructure.
- Expertise in secure comms and networking, VPN clients, config and admin of internet firewalls and contemporary IT security practices.
- Demonstrated experience with database implementation, performance tuning, and capacity planning.
- Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature and adaptability across disciplines.
- Flexibility to take on challenges at short notice and be able to function well in geographically distributed cross-functional team that comprises different disciplines.
- Exceptional people-skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluency in English language prerequisite.
- Strong identification with Celgene Values and research ethos prerequisite.
- Occasional Domestic and International travel required.
Bachelor's degree in relevant field (Computer Science, Information Systems, MIS Engineering, preferred) and at least 5 years of relevant work experience. 3 years of Scientific Computing experience with interfaces on Linux Systems, NGS, or relevant technologies experience in a corporate, hospital or university environment, required.
BIO-USCelgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.