Sr. Scientist, Early Discovery Biology (Immunology)
Other Locations:US- MA- Cambridge
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Immunology and Inflammation Thematic Center of Excellence (I&I TCoE) is focused on leveraging human genetics to discover and develop novel therapeutics to treat inflammatory disease. The Early Discovery Biology group is seeking a creative, thoughtful, and highly motivated senior immunologist to join our vibrant and cohesive team. Together, we will evaluate newly discovered therapeutic targets, use cutting edge research techniques to understand the molecular basis of autoimmune disease, and collaborate both within and outside of Celgene to develop novel therapeutics for patients with serious unmet needs.
The successful candidate will be a key leader in our unit, making a significant contribution to decision making about which programs to advance or terminate. They will be expert in executing sophisticated experimental work including development of cellular and biochemical based assays to study pathologic mechanisms, including biochemical, enzymatic, cell signaling, imaging and FACS based readouts to evaluate novel molecules. As opportunities allow, it is anticipated that the successful applicant will have the opportunity to share their expertise with a small team of direct reports.
The successful candidate will be expert in immunology, demonstrated through authorship/ co-authorship of peer reviewed publications and several years of post-doctoral academic/ industry experience with evidence of sustained high performance and accomplishment. The candidate must have a thorough knowledge of experimental design, and a high level of technical laboratory skill (including cell culture, ELISA, protein signaling, qPCR technology platforms, flow cytometry, imaging and assay automation techniques) together with an ability to interpret results.
The position requires excellent communication skills and ability to present data, and willingness to work in a highly collaborative research team environment. Opportunities to demonstrate superior scientific acumen, supervisory and leadership potential will be provided as part of your career development.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Being a thought leader within the team to critically evaluate the literature regarding new therapeutic targets.
- Independently design, execute and interpret series of experiments to generate data to support decision making. Support scientific associates in design, execution and interpretation of experiments.
- Introduce and troubleshoot new methods, platforms and project concepts.
- Represent the biology function on drug discovery teams and deliver on cell biology needs for drug discovery teams of which you are member
- Supervise associate staff and guide their career development
- Provide operational oversight of specified instrumentation
- Maintain an accurate electronic notebook
- Comply with laboratory safety procedures
- Process and communicate scientific findings in joint meetings and in written reports or manuscripts
• A PhD and post-doctoral training in Immunology, with at least 6 years of experience, preferably in industry, with significant focus on Immunology-focused cellular assay development for mechanistic characterization, and lead discovery and optimization of small molecule and biologic therapeutics. Ideally, the individual will have hands on expertise developing and validating functional assays to support drug discovery and target validation efforts.
• Excellent record of performance and scientific accomplishments as demonstrated by impactful contributions to the scientific community, pipeline contributions, peer reviewed publications and patent applications.
• Clear evidence of sustained independent thought and creativity in developing and implementing advanced technology and ideas for new drug discovery projects.
• Individuals with strong leadership, communication skills, and with experience in participating in and/or leading multi-disciplinary project teams are encouraged to apply.
- Ability to collaborate in teams and work with others in a matrixed environment
• Able to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously
• Able to listen to and engage with colleagues of diverse backgrounds
• Passion, Courage, Trust, Excellence are our core values
#LI-POSTCelgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.