Scientist I, Early Discovery Biology ( Immunology)
Other Locations:US- MA- Cambridge
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Immunology and Inflammation Thematic Center of Excellence (I&I TCoE) is focused on leveraging human genetics to discover and develop novel therapeutics to treat inflammatory disease. The Early Discovery Biology group is seeking a creative, thoughtful, and highly motivated Immunologist to join our vibrant and cohesive team. Together, we will evaluate newly discovered therapeutic targets, use cutting edge research techniques to understand the molecular basis of autoimmune disease, and collaborate both within and outside of Celgene to develop novel therapeutics for patients with serious unmet needs.
The successful candidate will be a key participant in decision making about which programs to advance, will execute experimental work including development of cellular and biochemical based assays to study pathologic mechanisms, and will utilize biochemical, enzymatic, cell signaling, imaging and flow cytometry based readouts to evaluate novel molecules.
Candidates should have expertise in immunology, demonstrated through authorship/co-authorship of peer reviewed publications. Experience conducting cellular pharmacology assays for small molecule drug discovery programs is an asset. The candidate must have a thorough knowledge of experimental design, and a high level of technical laboratory skill (including cell culture, ELISA, protein signaling, qPCR technology platforms, flow cytometry, imaging and assay automation techniques) together with an ability to interpret results.
The position requires excellent communication skills and ability to present data, and willingness to work in a highly collaborative research environment. Opportunities to demonstrate superior scientific acumen, supervisory and leadership potential will be provided as part of your career development.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• In collaboration with the broader team, evaluate the literature to propose potential new therapeutic targets.
• Independently design, execute and interpret series of experiments to generate data to support decision making.
• Introduce new methods, platforms and project concepts
• Represent the biology function on drug discovery teams and deliver on cell biology needs for drug discovery teams of which you are member
• Supervise associate staff and guide their career development
• Provide operational oversight of specified instrumentation
• Maintain an accurate electronic notebook
• Comply with laboratory safety procedures
• Process and communicate scientific findings in joint meetings and in written reports or manuscripts
• Ph.D. with post doctoral experience preferred. Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in a scientific discipline.
• Research experience in inflammation or a related field
• Ability to collaborate in teams and work with others in a matrixed environment
• Effective in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
• Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration and organizational skills.
• Ability to prioritize responsibilities
• Clear evidence of sustained independent thought and creativity in developing and implementing advanced technology and ideas for new projects
• Comfortable with changing direction and taking risks
• Create solutions for technical challenges
• Able to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously
• Able to listen to and engage with colleagues of diverse backgrounds
• Passion, Courage, Trust, Excellence are our core values