Development Lead Engineer (NCI)
The mission of the Data Science and Information Technology Program (DSITP) is to develop enterprise-level, consolidated information technology and biomedical informatics infrastructure that provides exceptional IT capabilities to the Frederick National Labs for Cancer Research (NCI-Frederick/FNLCR) in support of basic, translational, and clinical cancer and AIDS research. The CBIIT Technical Operations Support (CTOS) Group is part of the DSITP within Leidos Biomed. The CTOS team is primarily involved in the operations and execution of the projects sponsored by NCI-CBIIT. Please see https://cbiit.nci.nih.gov/ for details about CBIIT’s mission.
KEY ROLES/RESPONSIBILITIES-THIS POSITION IS CONTINGENT UPON FUNDING APPROVAL
Development Lead Engineer
- The Software Development Lead Engineer is a dynamic person capable of successfully manage a team of professional software engineers in an Agile environment
- The SDLE is the main point of contact and liaison between the technical engineers and the program
- This position works closely with the different Technical Project Managers, providing them with the necessary resources, processes and procedures to successfully deliver state-of-the-art IT solutions. The Lead Engineer and his/her team support the business through the entire software development life cycle, working in close collaboration with Government stakeholders and FNLCR management
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation in areas related to computer science, computer engineering, software development, or biomedical informatics. (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education). Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the education requirements, a minimum of ten (10) years of experience working in clinical/bioinformatics projects in a lead software development engineer capacity
- Experience with multiple Programming Languages including but not limited to, Java, Python, PHP, Ruby, Node.js, etc.
- Applied knowledge of DevOps, including CI/CD and test automation
- Experience managing software developers and other technical personnel in an Agile development setting
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Solid demonstrated knowledge of all phases of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology, including: requirements gathering, analysis, design, data modeling, process modeling, implementation and deployment
- Demonstrated knowledge of Agile Software Development methodologies including: SCRUM, KAMBA, Feature-Driven Development, etc.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Database experience, including: PostgresSQL, MySQL, NoSQL such as DynamoDB, MongoDB
- Demonstrated knowledge of Cloud technologies, including but not limited to: AWS, Google and Azure. Docker deployment on premise and on the Cloud
- Service Architecture: Microservices on the Cloud, SOAP and REST, enterprise concepts such as service buses, message queues, etc., Enterprise Design Patterns
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with a variety of professionals technical and nontechnical
- Ability to organize and create consensus among team members
- Solid experience leading the development of software solutions through the SDLC.
- Thorough understanding of OWASP secure coding practices
- Ability to estimate development level of effort based on programmers varying skills, work with TPMs to develop development cost reports
- Personnel management including interviewing skills and conflict management
- Experience working in Linux/Unix, Windows environments