Research Technologist- Histology & Microscopy Core
The Gladstone Institutes is an independent, not-for-profit research institution affiliated with the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), transforming the health and well-being of all people through medical research, education, and outreach in the fields focused on heart disease, immunology and virology including HIV/AIDS, and neurological disease. Home to notable leaders in the field of medical science, including 2012 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine recipient Shinya Yamanaka, M.D.,Ph.D. Gladstone is comprised of its three historical institutes in addition to various Centers and programs focusing approximately 500 members of our team on its mission: Science Overcoming Disease. Located in an award-winning building adjacent to UCSF's Mission Bay Campus, Gladstone offers a competitive salary and benefits program within a robust environment for those seeking to maximize their potential. Please consider Gladstone and make a difference in human health
We are currently looking to hire a Research Technologist in the Histology & Light Microscopy Core. The person in this position will be reporting to the Histology & Light Microscopy Core Director.
- Must be able to work within a core laboratory, providing Histology & Microscopy services to researchers both at Gladstone Institutes and beyond.
- Applies basic technical knowledge of the principles, concepts and methods of biomedical research to perform various analyses and supporting the investigation of scientific problems.
- Will be joining a team who are responsible for the core request workload where types of experiments vary greatly day by day.
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of scientific equipment such as tissue processors, microtomes, slide stainers, cryostats and microscopes.
- Perform research techniques and procedures such as tissue grossing, processing, embedding, cutting, routine and special staining plus slide mounting and quality control.
- Assist in the development of new core procedures and experimental protocols for researchers.
- Perform, or receive training in Immunohistochemistry.
- Perform, or receive training on, bright field, polarizing, epifluorescence, confocal and light sheet microscopy.
- Perform automated image analysis using tools such as ImageJ and Imaris.
- Ensure lab cleanliness and safety.
- Maintain stocks and reorder as necessary.
- Responsible for updating core inventories and electronic records, responding to user queries, scheduling and performing user equipment training and consulting with users on experimental design.
- Histology skills are a must; tissue fixation, paraffin and cryo-section cutting plus routine and special staining.
- Light microscopy experience is preferred.
- Able to communicate verbally in a clear and concise manner with a varied group of researchers from many different background and histological experience
- Demonstrates understanding of directions by providing regular feedback on work activities
- Asks questions to gather additional information.
- Resolves routine and recurring problems within own work area
- Highly organized (punctual, respectful for other lab members and users time, ability to answer emails with quick turn around).
- Approachable and helpful; accountable for workload and duties
- High work ethic and a genuine passion for scientific inquiry
- BA/BS in a biological, chemical or physical science
- 3 years laboratory experience
- Expertise should include working knowledge of and technical experience with research (animal) histology techniques.
- Ability to interact with researchers on a scientific and functional level.
- Light microscopy and digital and image analysis experience is a plus.
- Good computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Basic familiarity with R, Python or other programming language is desirable but not required.
- Basic anatomical knowledge and experience with animal dissection is desirable but not required.
- Immunohistochemistry experience and in-situ hybridization experience is a plus.
Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experienc