At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2017. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
BASF is looking to hire an Application Scientist for Grain Processing applications. The position will work in a team focused on enzyme applications for grain processing, which will require work in the lab as well as customer interaction.
Scientist III (1800226) – San Diego, CA
As a Scientist III, you will work out of our BASF Enzymes site in San Diego, CA.
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Have strong experimental planning and coordination skills to perform research studies in support of the grain processing business.
- Be able to manage multiple experiments simultaneously in an efficient and quality manner
- Have robust analytical skills and strong attention to detail.
- Collaborate with a diverse team across sales, business, manufacturing and directly with customers.
- Explore new technologies to meet existing, emerging, and potential future market needs
- Observe and promote safe work practices while performing job duties
This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You…
- You will have a BS degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry or chemical engineering degree.
- You will need 6 years’ minimum related experience.
- We will consider a BA degree with over 6 years of comprehensive hands-on experience working in a customer oriented laboratory environment within the ethanol or sweetener industry.
- Solid written and verbal presentation skills, with ability to effectively use MS Office Suite
- Willing and able to travel up to 10% of the time
- A self-starter and problem solver; Confident communicator with team building skills; Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
We Also Look For…
- MS or PhD degree in chemistry, bioengineering, chemical engineering or a related discipline is a plus.
- Experience in customer technical support and grain processing applications or related fields is a plus.
- Experience using a DOE (design of experiments) approach to daily work.
- Hands on experience with analytical instrumentation and methodology including HPLC (high pressure liquid chromatography) and GC (gas chromatography).
- Experience with starch chemistry is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.