At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2017. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
We are looking to hire a Senior Scientist for BASF Enzymes in San Diego, CA.
Senior Scientist (1800944) – San Diego, CA
Formula for Success: You Will…
This position is a critical role in the BASF Enzymes Research Team in San Diego, which is an integral part of BASF’s global Bioscience Research Platform. This position will focus on setting up Fungal Expression Technology in San Diego and be a technical leader for the fungal expression program. The Fungal Expression Technology will be applied to many projects and is a critical component for success to reach project targets and the goals of the Enzyme Roadmap. It is critical to have this position filled.
The candidate is expected to be a hardworking, technically proficient, enthusiastic Sr. Scientist to lead a fungal platform for enzyme expression. The candidate will work independently to design, execute, and analyze complex experiments, establish priorities, time milestones and completion dates for projects and adheres to project deadlines. This position offers the opportunity to work in a global multidisciplinary team in a challenging and dynamic environment.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You…
- Requires a Ph.D. Degree in Strain Engineering, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related fields with minimum 3 years of relevant industrial experience, or MS degree with minimum 6 years relevant industrial experience
- Strong technical background and extensive experience with fungal host engineering and molecular manipulation techniques
- Know-how and extensive hands-on experience with protein expression and production in fungal and bacterial systems
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Skilled in leadership and mentoring
- Advanced interpersonal management and team skills and proven ability to work in interdisciplinary and intercultural teams.
- Excellent organizational and communications skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Highly self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and in a team setting
We Also Look For…
- Good understanding and experience in Genetics and Biochemistry is preferred.
- Experience with gene discovery is a plus
- Managerial experience is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.