Research Associate I/II
C3J Therapeutics is Los Angeles based biotechnology company focused on improving human health through the development of novel targeted antimicrobials utilizing two proprietary platforms – synthetic bacteriophage and antimicrobial peptides.
Position Objective: C3J Therapeutics is seeking a Research Associate I/II to work with the R&D team. The candidate will support the overall program goals and strategy of the group which include significant laboratory activities, such as phage engineering and characterization, protein expression and preclinical evaluation of phage therapy efficacy in relevant animal models. The candidate will have broad molecular and cell biology experience. Previous experience with virology and viral vector construction (phage or mammalian viruses) will be considered a plus. Excellent verbal, presentation, and written communication skills are essential and the capability to effectively work in a team environment is required.
· Molecular cloning and RNA/DNA analysis techniques (e.g. PCR, gel electrophoresis, nucleic acid purification, ligation independent cloning)
· Familiarity with computational biology tools (BLAST, Geneious, CLC, Snap, sequence alignments, primer and construct design, etc.)
· Bacteriophage isolation, amplification and characterization
· Microbial cultivation and bacterial transformation/transduction
· Antimicrobial susceptibility and cytotoxicity testing
· Mammalian cell culture and transfection
· Protein analysis techniques (e.g. titration, Western Blot, ELISA)
Experience in one or more of the following areas are preferred:
· Working with Pseudomonas sp., Haemophilus sp, Streptococcus sp., Staphylococcus sp.
· Biofilm growth and characterization
· Recombinant protein expression and purification
· Biochemical and/or cell-based assays relevant to virology
· Cell migration and co-cultivation assays
· Fluorescence microscopy
· Flow cytometry experience
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
· Requires a BS in Molecular Biology, Microbial Pathogenesis, Microbial Genetics, Virology or related field, Masters degree preferred
· Requires a minimum of one-year relevant laboratory experience in industry or academia · Biosafety level 2 experience is preferred
· Proficiency in aseptic techniques
· Highly capable in techniques commonly used in molecular/cell biology
· Detail oriented with an ability to independently record scientific progress
· Ability to communicate results to supervisor and peers
· Strong experiment design, problem-solving, and data analysis skills
· Manage goals within defined timeframes
· Able to effectively multitask and advance various projects simultaneously
· Supports scientists in assay development
· Strong ability to work both in a team and independently, and develop an expanding technical and theoretical knowledge base
· Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration, organizational and time management skills
· Assist with regular assigned laboratory maintenance duties
Working Conditions: This is a full-time position for work in a laboratory environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. There is little to no travel required of this position with the exception of required training and possible conference or event attendance.
Employment Compensation: Position is salaried and is eligible for performance bonus. Pay is competitive and commensurate with skill set and experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, vacation plan, and 401(k). Consideration for future stock option grants may be available.