Patent Technical Writer
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat diseases with an unmet medical need. We are the pioneer and leader in the discovery and development of antisense drugs. By exploiting various cutting-edge RNA targeting technologies, we are capable of specifically and efficiently targeting any gene of interest, including ones which are not targetable by small molecules or antibodies. We currently have three approved drugs, and a robust pipeline of over 30 drugs in various stages of clinical trials.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
Patent Technical Writer
The Ionis patent group is seeking a Patent Technical Writer to support the preparation and prosecution of patent applications for the company's antisense drug platform including, but not limited to, drug products, medicinal chemistry improvements and core antisense technology. This position will report directly to a senior patent attorney, but will support several attorneys and agents.This position will provide opportunity to work on prosecution projects from time to time and other duties as assigned.
- Search and summarize journal and patent literature related to the company's technology in support of patentability and freedom to operate determinations
- Work collaboratively with patent agents, attorneys and support staff in the preparation of patent applications
- Confer with scientists and search databases to obtain data and information pertinent to the drafting of patent applications
- Review data, literature and other information and draft and edit material for inclusion in patent applications
- review patent applications for corrections to format and content
- Advanced degree in biology or chemistry
- Degree emphasis in biochemistry/molecular biology, chemical biology, or a related field OR equivalent experience in industry
- Strong scientific written and oral communication skills
- At least two years of experience in technical writing (preferably drafting of patent applications) OR scientific publication record (writing sample upon request)
- Strong organizational skills and great attention to detail
- Sufficient knowledge of molecular biology or pharmacology to draft portions of molecular biology-related applications with some guidance
- Sufficient knowledge of nucleic acid chemistry to draft applications to chemically modified nucleotides and oligonucleotides with some guidance
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com, for more information about Ionis.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.