Medical Science Liaison
Rigel is a clinical-stage biotechnology company dedicated to the discovery and development of novel, targeted drugs in the therapeutic areas of immunology, oncology and immuno-oncology. Rigel's pioneering research focuses on signaling pathways that are critical to disease mechanisms. Our business strategy is to transition to a commercial-stage company. We have recently filed an NDA for fostamatinib in immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). We continue to build an extensive portfolio of products in immunology and oncology, monetizing select assets through attractive partnerships. The Medical Science Liaison will be a key member of the field staff preparing for the launch of fostamatinib and future support of commercial activities.
The regional Medical Science Liaison (MSL) serves as a key field-based clinical resource for compliant scientific exchange about Rigel research, products and associated disease states with healthcare providers, payers, other industry partners as well as internal colleagues at Rigel. Information shared is timely, accurate, and fair-balanced. The MSL also identifies, develops and maintains effective professional relationships with critical customers in a specified geography in an effort to build and maintain a repository of Key Opinion Leaders for research initiatives, advisory boards and other opportunities for collaboration with Rigel. An initial focus of the MSL will also be aimed towards supporting launch-related activities for Fostamatinib in ITP, once/if approved by the FDA. The MSL may also support Clinical Development and Medical Affairs in the identification of specific patient types for registry-type studies and clinical trials. The newly created MSL role will report to the Head of Medical Affairs, receive guidance from and collaborate extensively with the Medical Director of Medical Affairs and support US-based medical and scientific initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and maintain peer-to-peer collaborations and relationships with key medical experts in the region
- Work with other internal Rigel medical affairs personnel on initiatives including publications, investigator sponsored research, participation at advisory boards, speaker/training and other educational programs
- Serve as scientific peer-to-peer resource to disease experts and medical community with up-to-date relevant medical information and product information
- Respond to unsolicited requests for medical information in the region in a timely manner. Ensure that an accurate and fair-balanced response is provided consistent with company compliance training
- Provides relevant clinical presentations to Pharmacy & Therapeutics committee members, medical directors, payers and other key decision makers as appropriate
- Serves as a scientific resource at key medical and scientific conferences, advisory boards, clinical investigator meetings, and patient advocacy group meetings, as appropriate
- Identify and communicate consumer and industry trends which may assist in establishing the value proposition of Rigel products
- Discuss and assess unsolicited investigator-initiated research proposals based on company strategies. Serve as point-person and conduit for respective projects
- Travel Requirement: 50%
Office is home-based. Travel within region 3-4 days per week with 1-2 office days per week. Required travel to medical meetings, team meetings and other group meetings (will require some weekends)
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Advanced clinical or scientific degree (MD, PharmD, PhD in Biological Sciences) is required. RN or PA degrees with strong relevant clinical experience may also be considered.
- Therapeutic experience in hematology, hematology/oncology, autoimmune diseases and/or nephrology/kidney transplant strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years as a MSL in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry required. 5+ years of MSL experience strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in recently-launched biologics or therapeutics is a plus.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have well-established networks and active relationships with hematologist (heme/oncs).
- Must have excellent communication skills (both oral and written), be proficient in MS Word and Excel and function well as part of a cross-functional team.
Rigel Pharmaceuticals Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity.
All individuals are encouraged to apply.