Senior Team Lead Biological Research (Biotech High Throughput Screening)
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2017. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
We are seeking a Senior Team Lead for the Laboratory Automation to join the High Throughput Screening team. Our lab supports large screens for enzyme product development, as well as daily operations across multiple scientific disciplines. We build and maintain our own robotic systems, in collaboration with both third-party vendors and internal BASF colleagues. The Senior Team Lead will professionally and safely execute the current and future workload of projects. Also, the Senior Team Lead should be a recognized expert in the field that can help us integrate and or design new screening technologies for molecular biology, enzyme engineering and strain development.
Senior Team Lead Biological Research (Biotech High Throughput Screening) San Diego, CA (1800832)
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Develop, Implement and Operate automated lab technology for BASF Enzymes LLC. to meet needs for HTP screening and automated solutions in a highly interdependent matrixed environment
- Manage the Automation group with rigorous technical leadership
- Promote Positive and Effective cross-group interactions with Enzymology, Molecular and Cell Biology, Analytical, Fermentation, Computational Bioscience and QC
- Guide development of bioassays for HTP screening
- Hands-on responsibility, working in the labs
- Stay current with state of the art technology, trends and improvements in automation and robotics
- Propose future technology to better meet our development needs
- Collaborate closely with subject matter experts and promote a data driven, statistical approach to data collected from automation pipelines.
- Lead work efforts and/or projects/assignments with substantial risk, business impact, and complex technical challenges.
- Contribute to the development of the lab automation technical community within BASF and to the digitalization efforts within R&D
- Innovative Mindset: Implement strategies that introduce and apply new concepts and technologies that will have substantial long-term business impact. Address unique time-sensitive problems with significant business risk. Propose to leadership new technologies and new RD&T directions, and design multiple projects/experiments to pursue innovative solutions. Act proactively to optimize RD&T pipeline and/or business performance.
- Communication and relationships: Strong contributor to the innovation pipeline by bringing knowledge into and disseminating it across the organization
- Ability to navigate interdependencies – namely, to understand the projects and tasks across a medium term timeline, resource requirements and potential conflicts, communicate to team, and advocate for change when required
- Safety: hold self and others accountable to robust EH&S standards and promote a Zero-Incident Mindset
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications – NOTE: Not all positions are eligible for cross-regional relocation/work authorization. Cross regional is defined as movement between countries (e.g. Canada to U.S.).
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- Engineering Ph.D or Master’s degree with 8+ years’ experience, or Engineering Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years’ experience
- Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering or related field.
- Most years of experience must be in laboratory automation, high throughput (HTP) and ultrahigh throughput screening of biological samples under industry relevant application tests. Experience should include proven examples and achievements in designing, building and programming automated laboratory systems.
- Experience with sample tracking software and developed interfaces between robotic instrumentation and LIM systems
We Also Look For...
- Ability to understand and execute on the company’s mission and values
- Demonstrate high ethical standards and trustworthiness
- Foster constructive dialog and feelings toward the company, coworkers and tasks being managed
- Open and transparent communication across groups particularly when prioritizing multiple conflicting needs
- Capable of high performance both as an individual and as a team member
- Energized by accomplishments and excellence in the workplace
- Deal with conflict in a direct, productive and positive manner
- Able to reach rational conclusions through complex processing of information
- Ability to think and adapt to a rapidly changing environment
- Foster innovation through creative solutions
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Maintains high degree of attention to detail
- Expert in designing and programming scripts using control software for robotic arms that access a variety of sample plate-based laboratory instruments
- Specific and significant expertise programming robotic liquid handlers such as Bravos, Hamiltons, etc.
- Ability to work with biologists and chemists to transfer assays and processes from the lab bench to automated instruments for production
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.