Director, Commercial Management and Leadership Training
Pharmacyclics, a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE: ABBV), is focused on developing and commercializing innovative small-molecule drugs for the treatment of cancer and immune-mediated diseases. Pharmacyclics' mission is to develop and commercialize novel therapies intended to improve quality of life, increase duration of life and resolve serious unmet medical needs. Pharmacyclics markets IMBRUVICA and has multiple product candidates in clinical development and several preclinical molecules in lead optimization. Pharmacyclics is committed to high standards of ethics, scientific rigor and operational efficiency as it moves each of these programs toward commercialization.
AbbVie is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott Laboratories. AbbVie employs approximately 30,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
The Director, Commercial Management and Leadership Training supports the commercial organization and leads the strategy and execution of our development training program offerings. This role will work closely with Human Resources, field and home office based commercial colleagues to identify, create, and implement the management and leadership development curricula. This role is based out of our Sunnyvale, CA headquarters, and requires professionals that have established management experience (both field and home office), exceptional collaboration skills to interact with multi-functional teams, and exhibit sustainable leadership skills to enable the development of a vision. The key responsibilities for the role are: 1) Identify key gaps in our current M&L (management and leadership) training 2) Develop a strategic vision for all commercial training related to soft skills development 3) Tactical leadership of execution of training curricula. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced professional seeking to join a high performing team committed to making a difference for the betterment of patients.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Identify key gaps in our current M&L (management and leadership) training
- Strong business knowledge required to understand key business drivers and identify the required skills necessary for our commercial organization
- Analytical background to help define business outcomes of established M&L curricula
- Develop a strategic vision for all commercial training related to soft skills development
- Partner with all functions of the commercial organization to define a strategic vision for M&L
- In collaboration with HR, identify, create and execute a development training platform consistent with the needs of the commercial organization
- Tactical leadership of training execution
- Liaison to field sales management/leadership at both the divisional and regional levels to assess field training needs on a periodic basis. Liaison with key leadership within commercial to assess and deliver on soft skill training for each function.
- Maintain and elevate the needs for new hires by conducting a needs assessment and creating a sustainable new hire training curricula
- Oversight of planning for all M&L training conducted at live meetings or virtually
- Ensure the sustainability of training with the development of training updates and revisions
- Budget oversight and execution
- Coordination with Legal, Compliance, Regulatory, Clinical CT&D, Corporate Training to ensure training deliverables are aligned with all corporate compliance policies and developed accordingly
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree; MBA a plus
- 10+ years of experience in pharmaceutical/biotech marketing and sales for specialty products; experience in Oncology or Hematology/Oncology preferred
- Experience leading a team and successfully managing direct reports. Must have had management experience (field based and marketing a plus) in order to best assess development gaps. Must have at least 3-5 years of field sales management experience.
- Ability to establish credibility as an internal thought leader on strategic and business issues
- Exceptional critical thinking to help identify educational gaps, analyze findings and make recommendations while articulating next steps
- Demonstrated track record of increasing responsibility within sales and marketing
- Possession of core strategy and analysis skills, as well as the ability to lead and influence others by acting as a strategic partner to business leaders
- Communication - Listens well; expresses ideas fluently and logically; is open to input and can be depended on for truthfulness
- Teamwork and collaboration - Creates an atmosphere of openness and trust. Collaborates and offers support and encouragement
- Technical and business expertise - Applies emerging knowledge and trends; builds strong relationships; contributes to expertise within and beyond assigned area
- Strategic agility - Links responsibilities with the mission of the organization; focuses on activities that add the most value
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to translate strategic vision into tactical action, identify the highest impact ideas and plans and focus efforts by resource allocation
- Ability to assess risks and benefits to make timely, sound decisions with various levels of information, and accept responsibly for meeting and/ or exceeding objectives
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced growth-company environment (sense of urgency, adaptable, champion of change)
- Ability to interact with leadership at all levels of the organization.
- Strong understanding of legal and regulatory environment in pharmaceutical promotions, pharma industry guidelines, and other compliance-related issues
- Adherence to PCYC's Compliance Policies and Procedures and ensuring that the team acts in accordance with our promotional procedures
- Accountable for being fully knowledgeable of all relevant policies and for abiding by these
- Comply with all laws, regulations and policies that govern the conduct of Pharmacyclics activities. Always follow PCYC Policies and procedures.
- Business travel, by air or car, is regularly required
- Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled