PRINCIPAL SCIENTIST – IN VIVO PHARMACOLOGY ID/CMD
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Performing all aspects of running in vivo models of infectious disease to drive forward the goals of the Pharmacology and ID departments.
Core and project team member of multiple projects across both virology and bacterial drug discovery programs. Demonstrate a high degree of influence and leadership in these projects through past experiences at this level.
Provide mentorship and supervisory role to researchers at scientist level within the team.
Deliver scientific, regulatory and project management leadership within and across departments and line functions.
Interface with other departments including disease area biologists, safety assessment, chemistry, and pharmacokinetics & drug metabolism
Work with groups external to Merck e.g. contract resource organizations to access novel assays and/or manage workload effectively
- A Ph.D. in virology, bacteriology or pharmacology (with infectious diseases background) with a minimum of 10 years of experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries.
- Proven ability to drive projects forward
- Extensive knowledge and hands on experience of translational virus (e.g. respiratory and herpes viruses) or bacteriology animal models
- Track record of performance on drug discovery teams
- Experience developing practical research strategies, translating strategy into experiments
- Ability to work in a matrixed organization
- The successful candidate will be a member of the West Point Pharmacology Department, a department that provides in vitro and in vivo pharmacology solutions to support a wide variety of infectious disease, neuroscience and cardio-metabolic programs.
- The successful candidate will have had experience in designing and executing in vivo experiments to determine the efficacy of novel compounds designed to have anti-viral and/or antibacterial efficacy, extensive experience in developing novel models of infectious disease, and a solid grounding in drug discovery research in the Biotech or Pharmaceutical industry.
- The individual would be expected to act as an independent scientist in leading the in vivo Pharmacological needs of multiple projects in a wide array of infectious disease indications, and have shown ability to lead in the field.
- Experience in PK/PD modeling, novel infectious disease in vivo modeling
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit: