Research Scientist-Automation Engineering
Our site in San Diego houses key capabilities for our pre-clinical and clinical investigation. Per Tom Bumol, former Sr. VP of Biotechnology and Immunology research at Lilly, “With about 50 percent of the company’s portfolio being biologics, many designed and engineered in San Diego, we're preparing for the next wave of biotech innovation.” We are excited to continue our expansion efforts to bring best in class research and talent to our San Diego biotechnology facility.
Are you an experienced Automation scientist? Do you have experience in drug discovery, protein engineering and supervision? The Biologics Automation Group is searching for an experienced automation equipment engineer to support multiple scientific research teams involved in early stage discovery of protein biotherapeutics.
Ensure that common automation equipment is properly maintained and in good working order. This includes stand-alone liquid handlers (BioMek, Lynx, Echo), plate washers/dispensers, protein quantification instruments, colony/plaque pickers, sequencing instruments etc., as well as several fully integrated robotic systems. Ability to trouble-shoot issues and train users on these instruments is also required.
Supervise an established group of automation engineers whose responsibilities at present include equipment installation, maintenance, QC, script writing, and hands-on automation equipment assistance to scientists not part of the automation group.
Work collaboratively with protein discovery, engineering and expression groups at the San Diego site to optimize research efficiencies through implementation of automation process improvements and novel technologies.
Work with automation equipment vendors to implement and validate novel systems and/or technologies.
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
- B.S. in engineering/bio-engineering or STEM-related discipline with a minimum of 12 years of experience, or
- M.S. in engineering/bio-engineering or STEM-related discipline with a minimum of 10 years of experience, or
- PhD in engineering/bio-engineering or STEM-related discipline with a minimum of 5 years of experience (at least 3 years after post-doctoral education)
- Experience should include at least 5 years of relevant industry experience, preferably in a pharmaceutical company or an automation provider.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
- Previous experience in the direct supervision of automation engineers.
- Experience in the operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and scripting for liquid handlers primarily BioMek and Lynx instruments as well as experience with additional stand-alone automation equipment including reagent dispensers, Octet, colony pickers etc.
- Extensive expertise in the scheduling, operation, training and troubleshooting of fully integrated robotic liquid-handling systems.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills including the ability to work with other automation engineers across Eli Lilly, as well as non-automation research scientists at the San Diego site.
- Excellent organizational skills, as exemplified by an aptitude for clear record-keeping, and data analysis, as well as the ability to prioritize work across multiple projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Programming experience using Python, Java, C#, Visual Basic, or SQL is strongly preferred.
- Expertise with SAMI, DART or Director software is a plus.
- Experience with sample management, process development, VBA application development or database mining.