Sr. Scientist, Cell & Molecular Biology (Solid Tumor)
Other Locations:US- CA- San Diego
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Protein Homeostasis at Celgene
The PH TCoE at Celgene is one of the fundamental research and early development engines delivering therapeutics to patients. As a thematic center, the PH TCoE is agnostic to therapeutic modality or disease area. The group integrates discovery research through translational and early clinical development and focuses on numerous aspects of protein homeostasis including the ubiquitin-proteasome system, protein translation, and RNA processing and stability. This thematic focus allows the group to capitalize on the cutting edge science that underpins the action of the company's most advanced drugs. Not being bound by disease area or therapeutic modality creates a very dynamic, exciting and creative environment that exploits excellent science in biology, biochemistry, structural biology, computational biology and translational development.
The Solid Tumor Group in the Protein Homeostasis Thematic Center of Excellence (PH TCoE) focuses on delivering novel cancer therapeutics by engaging E3 ubiquitin ligases for targeted protein degradation. We are seeking a motivated PhD Scientist with broad oncology drug discovery experience and an understanding of the ubiquitin-proteasome system (UPS) to participate in drug discovery research. The successful candidate will work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary environment to 1) explore E3 ligase biology enabling identification of drug targets; 2) develop and implement robust cellular assays to support discovery of small molecules as clinical development candidates; and 3) design and execute in vitro studies that further our understanding of the mechanisms of novel compounds. Responsibilities include target discovery and validation, utilizing cellular models to design relevant assays in support of SAR, mechanism of action, biomarker selection, and disease positioning. The successful candidate will work within discovery project teams and with scientists across different functional areas and be expected to present his or her work at project team meetings and to senior research leadership.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and implement relevant cell based assays to support identification, optimization, and characterization of novel chemical matter
- Conduct target discovery and validation experiments in close collaboration with bioinformatics, chemistry, and HTS groups
- Design and conduct essential mechanistic experiments in cell biology, molecular biology, and assay development
- Analyze and present data in an organized and timely manner
- Work within and support biology needs for cross-functional drug discovery teams
- Lead drug discovery teams; conduct own experiments, and supervisor associate scientist.
- Ph.D. with 6 years of drug discovery experience in molecular and cell biology with knowledge and training in oncology target discovery; experience in proteomics research is a plus.
- Previous hands-on experience with various molecular and cellular technologies including, but not limited to, quantitative PCR, immunofluorescence and manipulation/editing of gene/message/protein via RNAi and/or CRISPR methods is required. Experience in mammalian cell culture models including primary cell culture required.
- Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration and organizational skills are required.
- Data analysis skills and experience with a variety of scientific software applications are required.
- Capability to stay focused and deliver high quality data in a timely and well organized manner.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic team environment; flexibility to adapt to changes with a positive attitude.
- Team leadership skills are required.
BIO-USCelgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.