Manager, Alliance Management
Neurocrine Biosciences is a San Diego based biotechnology company focused on neurologic, psychiatric and endocrine related disorders. The Company’s three late-stage clinical programs are: elagolix, a gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist for women’s health that is partnered with AbbVie Inc.; opicapone, a novel, once-daily, peripherally-acting, highly-selective catechol-o-methyltransferase inhibitor under investigation as adjunct therapy to levodopa in Parkinson’s patients; and INGREZZA™ (valbenazine), a novel, once-daily, selective VMAT2 inhibitor under investigation for the treatment of Tourette Syndrome. INGREZZA (valbenazine) capsules was approved by the FDA on April 11, 2017 for the treatment of adults with tardive dyskinesia and is currently commercialized by Neurocrine in the United States.
This person will manage and direct projects spanning new business development transactions to existing strategic alliance partnerships - early development through commercialization. The individual will lead cross-functional internal and external program teams to ensure that projects progress and meet pre-defined objectives and timelines. Additional responsibilities include building both the Alliance Management team over time and the external communications platform to present the Company to potential new collaborators at key meetings and conferences.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead Alliance Management group to deliver the value of the deal and maximize relationship with outside pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies and academic institutions.
- Provide expert advice for alliance management strategy.
- Ensure the organization is well connected in the external Pharma industry alliance management community through the management of key Business Development events, e.g., BIO, BIO-Europe, etc.
- As a member of business development team provide strategic and operational input to ensure the ongoing success of the business development strategy; including delivering the value of ongoing deals, highlighting new opportunities and actively encouraging development for alliance management and the wider business development team.
- Maximize and optimize business relationships:
- align strategy, objectives and deliverables both internally and with our partners
- establish and maintain high quality of communications and understanding between partners
- proactively trouble-shoot potential issues
- Establish and maintain the Company culture of excellence in customer focus by:
- providing high degree of responsiveness to partners’ needs
- facilitating partners ease of doing business
- committing to follow-through on agreed actions
- minimizing effect of personnel changes, provide continuity
- engendering trust and understand partners’ concerns
- Identify and implement standard procedures, approaches, processes, and techniques to ‘raise the bar’ on Alliance Management culture.
- Direct the management of organization interactions with multiple business development, in-licensing, joint venture, and co-promotion partners in large scale, single - and multi-product relationships.
- Ensure efficient start-up for all new collaboration, to include briefing organization and joint teams regarding terms and ways of working.
- Manage and enhance the post-deal relationship over the extended lifecycle from beginning of in-licensing through development, registration, marketing, and the in-licensing of other, additional, compounds.
- Work closely with related R&D functional areas, Business Development, and Legal to assure coordination of all issues and a single organization point of view.
- Assure collaborative development projects are progressed to maximize commercial value and minimize time to market.
- Assure that organization views on priorities and strategies are effectively communicated through alliance committee(s).
- Assure organization senior management is apprised in an effective and timely fashion of all alliance/JV issues and of recommended paths to resolution.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field, with Advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Knowledge of drug discovery and development.
- Detailed knowledge of pharmaceutical management, R&D organization and operations.
- 10 years’ experience in a specific pharmaceutical discipline e.g. drug development, marketing, business development and/or alliance management.
- 5 years’ experience in a pharmaceutical management role working on a range of projects.
- Experience/knowledge of deal negotiation and post deal management.