Lead all research initiatives related to new products for the INTERCEPT portfolio and provide research support for the existing product portfolio. Develop external research collaborations with leading researchers in the field of transfusion medicine, trauma, hemoglobinopathies, and other hematology disciplines. Advance Cerus’ publication efforts and output.
Responsible for prioritizing, – organizing and driving research activities in the general areas of transfusion medicine, pathogen inactivation and related areas, to improve upon the inactivation systems, or develop new applications. Additionally, responsible for the promotion and capture of novel ideas to expand Cerus’ patent portfolio.
- Recommend scientific strategies and interact with Cerus Management to define and develop scientific programs consistent with business objectives and regulatory requirements.
- Lead early stage research efforts and drive progress on programs through influence and initiative.
- Participate broadly in scientific publications and presentations; review publications to insure consistency with corporate objectives.
- Participate in the review and editing of research reports, regulatory submissions and quality documentation.
- Spearhead research collaborations and assist business development with the evaluation of novel ideas.
- Direct scientific research study strategy.
- Identify issues and control risks involved which may delay product/project and ensure appropriate actions are taken to accomplish specific goals and timelines.
- Work with project teams to develop plans that ensure achievement of Cerus project objectives, incorporating risk management and resource allocation.
- Provide scientific advice to sales and marketing team.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key international thought leaders.
- Present scientific data and product/medical information to transfusing physicians, hematologists, oncologists, surgeons and other physician targets.
- Effectively present information to top management, public groups, both internally and externally as required.
- Continually evaluate and analyze current industry trends to ensure that new ideas and technologies are incorporated into company strategies and research initiatives.
- Participate in intellectual property activities to ensure that ideas are appropriately protected and that patent strategies are aligned with corporate priorities
- Participate in human resources activities (recruitment of key talent, mentoring, employee development and performance management).
- Ensure budgets and schedules are met.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- PhD with a minimum of 15 years related experience.
- High level of initiative to pursue novel opportunities to advance the company’s portfolio.
- Background in biologics development from initial research studies through early stage clinical study initiation.
- Demonstrated ability to generate financial support for research activity from outside sources.
- Ability to interact constructively with multi-functional team members.
- Recognize and focus on critical path activities and instill that focus into others.
- Recognized as an effective leader; strong leadership, management and mentoring skills; team oriented.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interface at all levels including management and staff personnel both internally and externally (encompasses verbal, written, listening).