Scientist II, Medicinal Chemistry
The Discovery Chemistry and Technology group has an exciting opportunity for a Scientist II position to join the Centralized Medicinal Chemistry team. This scientist will design targets and execute organic synthetic methods to advance medicinal chemistry lead optimization programs to candidate selection. The candidate will act as technical expert in on one or more projects, and critically evaluate relevant scientific advances and integrate this knowledge into research programs.
- Design targets based on medicinal chemistry best practices.
- Devise synthetic routes to enable lead compound synthesis and advance Structure Activity Relationships
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Demonstrate mastery of broad range of experimental techniques and methods of data analysis.
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key chemistry issues by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program
- Effective writer and communicator of research
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices for self and reporting staff, if any
- Understand the broad objective of the projects, participate in defining short and long-term scientific strategies, and contribute to the generation of project-related documents and presentations
- Learn, understand and master new chemistry technologies, and act as a resource for others
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement
- MS, or BS in Organic Chemistry with 10+ years (MS); or 15+ years (BS) of pharmaceutical industry experience
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise on med chem projects
- Demonstrated strong expertise in synthetic organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry, with a proven record of problem-solving skills
- MS in Organic Chemistry or related field
- 10+ years of experience on med chem projects
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality