Senior Scientist, Bioinformatics/Computational Biology
The Systems Computational Biology (SysComp) Department at Abbvie Bioresearch Center is responsible for providing computational solutions and conducting computational research for immunology discovery and translational programs. We partner with discovery & clinical scientists to identify genes and pathways operant in human diseases through interrogation of complex multi-omics data sets generated from clinical samples. We are looking for an exceptional candidate for a computational biologist position. The candidate will collaborate with world class research scientists and be afforded with necessary computational resources to expedite scientific research for target identification, disease mechanism understanding, patient stratification and clinical biomarker discovery through mathematical, computational & data mining approaches. Successful candidate will be an experienced computational biologist/mathematician with deep disease knowledge and track record of functioning well in a cross-functional environment. Exceptional written and verbal communication and organization skills are required.
Key Responsibilities Includes:
Key Responsibilities Includes:
- Collaborate with research & clinical scientists to conceive informatics analysis strategy and independently execute bioinformatics analysis that support discovery and pre-clinical studies such as new target identification and biomarker development
- Build custom analysis methods per project analysis needs that can executed by other computational and genomics scientists
- Collaborate with software engineers to maintain and build computational infrastructure and pipelines
- Identify and/or conceive novel mathematical approaches to better and more efficiently analyze internal and public datasets and to ask novel biological questions.
- Be abreast with most current systems analysis methodology and algorithms and introduce them in-house when appropriate.
Communicate analytical analysis verbally and in writing for scientific and technical audiences.
- BS, MS or PhD in Computational Biology/Computer Sciences/Biomathematics/Applied Mathematics/Statistics or related field with strong quantitative background, involving the analysis of large scale complex data such as next generation sequencing, microarray etc. with at least 10-12+ (BS), 8-10+ (MS) or 0-3+ (PhD) years of experience.
- Proven track record in generating and applying novel analysis methods and/or novel mathematical modeling (such as authoring R/Python etc. analysis packages) is required.
- Hands on experience in genomics and genetic database mining, data analyses using existing and custom pipelines are required.
- Knowledge in relevant tools and databases and experience in developing custom computational analysis pipeline leveraging these resources is highly preferred
- Working experience with relational databases (Oracle, MySQL, PostgresSQL) is preferred.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.