Biology Operations Assistant
General Position Summary/Purpose: A Biology Operation Assistant will support, manage, and facilitate activities in the biology wet lab that support the activities of Research, Translational Medicine as well as the Discovery team. The candidate will be working closely with the senior lab manager and will be accountable for the successful operational planning, building infrastructure to maximize efficiency and productivity of lab staff as well as execution and handling of lab needs, including but not limited to: optimal conditioning/maintenance of lab equipment/instruments, developing and maintaining cell and sample banks, compound handling, storage, banking, distribution, developing software/hardware connections to facilitate lab operations. Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
Inventory control and ordering of laboratory supplies and reagents - receipt and delivery of incoming packages, checking for expired reagents, following up on orders, etc. Good communication with staff and external vendors is essential
Placing orders daily in procurement system (Microsoft AX process expert), working with end-users and procurement to ensure orders are placed in an accurate and timely manner.
Distribution/Tracking of DMSO stock solutions prepared in-house upon request from various departments to ensure on-time delivery to support their research work
Ensure point-of-use areas/common stock is maintained with required inventory levels. Record keeping of bio-samples and small molecule compounds, capital equipment, maintenance records, etc.
Scheduling lab equipment maintenance including de-frosting deep freezers (-80*C and -20*C) and calibration. Prioritize tasks and assignments to maximize efficiency and productivity
Respond to new requests with appropriate urgency and an organized approach. Show motivation to learn new things in the lab and work with team leads to automate the compound tracking system and should be willing to take additional responsibilities, if needed
Be an advocate for lab safety and work with EHS team to ensure all bio-hazard and chemical waste are removed and disposed properly.
Interface between vendors, IT, field scientists to facilitate effectiveness in the labs.
Ensure proper functioning of computers interfaced with lab instruments and their routine backup functions are enabled. Make IT requests to put all the computers on network and prepare a log book for all lab equipment
Own and keep track of lab supplies and instrument budget assigned to the research department
- A BS or equivalent degree in biological sciences with at least 1-2 years working full time in a laboratory setting either in an academia or industry.
- Basic knowledge of computer applications (Microsoft Word, Excel) including purchasing process system (Microsoft Dynamics AX) is required.
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles is a plus.
- Demonstrate competency and have a collaborative drive to work with peers, partners, and others, including individuals outside of the team and functional area, to positively impact business performance and optimize the input of those involved.
- Strong people and organizational skills is necessary.
- Past proven effectiveness in lab operations
- Outstanding knowledge of overall drug development process relevant to pharmaceutical and/or biotech organizations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with staff and key stakeholders and should have good conflict management skills.
- Excellent analytical skills, with an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way.
- Strong influence and negotiation skills.
- Results and detail-oriented; self-motivated.
- Working knowledge/understanding of best-practice alliance/collaboration management principles and concepts, techniques, and tools. Experience in contract management with CROs, collaborators, a big plus.