Team Lead, Biomarker Operations
Strong senior contributor who also leads a team of individual contributors to drive strategic and tactical delivery of Biomarker activity at the asset level while ensuring rational alignment of asset strategy and protocol execution, including:
- Responsible for the design and evolution of the functional processes for, and drives individual development of, Program Level Biomarker Sample strategy documents (Laboratory Test Plan and Sample Risk Matrix) for a complex collection of assets under his/her accountability in close collaboration with one or more Biomarker Lead.
- Multi-functional team engagement and leadership
- Seeks opportunities to enhance value of external vendor relationships through early strategic engagement and ongoing partnership
- Drives the IT environment that delivers strategic documentation and supports the analysis of study designs vs. strategic plans.
- Team Leader who develops his/her staff in the application of a disciplined project approach to develop and execute operational plans to ensure delivery of Biomarker data to meet the requirements of the Program and the studies executing within them; documenting and managing associated issues and risks; setting agendas for operational program reviews and documenting outcomes, decisions and key learnings
- Responsible to evolve IT capabilities to enhance operational effectiveness in the initiation and oversight for request management of Biomarker assay development or sample analysis; ensures all work is documented in alignment with the protocol and the program strategy
- Independently or in partnership with one or more Biomarker Lead identifies and activates samples for analysis
- Collaborates with Execution Analysts to ensure effective sample movement through analysis and to final storage; partners with Biomarker Execution leadership to identify opportunities for increased leverage of internal and third party capabilities to drive sample execution
- Drives integration with clinical operations organization and data management to execute and streamline the processing for cleaning sample metadata as needed to ensure integrity of specimens and downstream analysis
- Experienced program manager counsels staff in the execution and maintenance of a clear Book of Work/Program Plan to facilitate cohesive and uniform transparency across many projects and external partners; also, responsible for his/her own complex, highly visible, book of work
- Process owner for those processes and tools necessary to manage and triage critical, "systemic", issues for the Biomarker Operations function; ensures his/her staff maintains the discipline to document issues from identification through resolution. For his/her complex program of assets, maintains highest standard of program discipline and ensures learning is shared across the organization
- Demonstrates strong communication, interpersonal and negotiating skills and leverages those competencies to ensure continuous progress within both internal and external teams thus moving issues to resolution
- Serves as TMES liaison to lead or support other strategic and process improvement initiatives affecting his/her platform area(s) as required
- B.S., M.S. in a scientific discipline; 8+ yrs direct line management experience; with experience in Biomarker Operations or Clinical Study execution desired.
- 4+ years of complex relationship management expertise e.g. vendor management, lab operations management
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal/regulatory environment governing sample management and informed consent; experience applying consistent interpretation for self and others as needed to drive compliant specimen use
- Demonstrated ability to establish a team mission/vision, define key metrics needed to measure organizational effectiveness, develop staff and grow a diverse team of individual contributors
- Balances team leader responsibilities and his/her own, complex, workload; strong voice to empower leadership and remove barriers for self and others.
- Sustains and demonstrates experience growing a diverse network within BMS and outside of BMS; leverages broad relationships to enhance personal and organizational outputs
- Experience establishing effective priorities for self and staff, while working with a sense of urgency, delivering on multiple projects and challenging, and often volatile, deadlines
- Experience designing effect business process flows and developing measures of process efficiency
- Skilled listener with ability to manage complex internal and external relationships through constructive conflict management; experience with third party governance oversight desirable
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work with high volumes of data independently and in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary scientific team; demonstrates mastery of and experience in coaching technical skills such as Excel and/or Spotfire
- Experienced in developing and implementing agile, creative solutions, utilizing direct and indirect resources, to solve business challenges within the line organization, across the company, and in partnership with external collaborators
- Highly collaborative, team leader and team-player who regularly seeks perspectives both within and outside of his/her direct accountability to develop and implement high value solutions