Senior Research Associate / Scientist
Triton Algae Innovations Ltd., an innovative future food technology company, is seeking a molecular biologist for a Senior Research Associate/Scientist position at our San Diego, CA location. The individual will be responsible for establishing strategies, techniques and approaches to improving our algal protein expression platform. This individual will develop and implement molecular approaches to improve protein expression titers. Further, the individual will work closely with our process development team to ensure the scalability of molecular tools developed for our algal protein expression platform. A proven track record of providing leadership to accelerate novel technologies and excellent molecular biology skills is important. Individual will operate in a matrixed environment that spans across multiple functions, including Research and Process Development. He/she will provide scientific, technical and managerial leadership of our molecular biology/strain development team.
- Develop, execute and document molecular strategies for increasing recombinant protein expression.
- Demonstrates innovative design, development and execution of research projects through literature review and scientific teamwork.
- Contributes to the execution of design, optimization, verification, troubleshooting and validation of current and new techniques and provides input into the design, direction, implementation and interpretation of experimental studies.
- Performs hands on research in company’s lab to move scientific projects forward.
- Experience developing novel genetic tools
- Experience with protein expression optimization
- Experience with protein secretion is preferred
- Experience with qPCR, rt-PCR, Gibson cloning, seamless cloning, gene assembly, codon optimization, codon harmonization, gene screening, chloroplast transformations, particle bombardment, Electroporations, and next-gen sequencing are considered a plus
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Ph.D., in biology, molecular biology, or a related field with 0-4 years of post-doctoral experience.
- Masters with 5-10 post graduate experience
- Up-to-date understanding of current algal molecular biology literature together with the capability to select methods and techniques for obtaining solutions within general defined practices and policies is required.
- Demonstrated ability to innovate and problem solve biological hurdles is a plus
- Ability to be flexible, innovative and highly organized to work quickly and efficiently in a growing biotech start-up environment is necessary.
- Negotiable based on experience